Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

My Gimpy white Axolotl

R

rheann

Here is a picture of my gimpy white Axolotl. He doesn't have a name yet, just call him gimpy because he's missing some legs and trying to grow them back
happy.gif
I need to come up with a better name though lol. This picture isn't updated. Just another previous Picture the person sent me before I made my order. Now I have him and I am so happy. He's also doing really great, eating well, slow eater sometimes, but loves earthworms and crickets and pellets. His legs were nibbled off by his tank mates. when I got him, his gills were also nibbled a bit, but they're growing big again. Hope you like it
happy.gif
37878.jpg
They speckily stuff on the glass is algae, not poo floating around lol.

C

cynthia

What a little cute one. There is something about those little black eyes staring back at you...
happy.gif

R

rheann

Yes, he loves to come up at the surface and look at me with his nose poking out of the water. it's so cute!

V

vanessa

Awwwwwww... that is soooo cute! How can algae occur in tanks?

R

rheann

you haven't ever had Algae in your tank, Vanessa? I think that's what that stuff is called, its the stuff that grows all over the place, it's green. I think the guy used a pre-cycled tank for the Axolotls that were housing some fish. Not sure though, he takes pretty good care of his animals
happy.gif

G

grant

I never have algae problems with my tank. As long as you always take out uneaten food and remove waste regularly and have some live plants there shouldn't be to big of a problem. But very cute axie Rheann.

R

rheann

really? Algae wont grow in a tank if there is live plants? I never new that lol. I thought it was mostly caused from plants. I learn somethign new everyday here at this site, thanks Grant
happy.gif

G

grant

Well it takes the nitrogen so it makes it harder for algae to grow. If you use messy plants they will get your cage dirty but I suggest using like java moss or something that grows in darker tanks and isn't messy.

J

joan

I have a heavily planted Taricha tank, full of pothos, java moss, and two marimo moss balls (they're cute!). But the tank sits in direct sunlight for part of the day, and algae does indeed grow. Right now, I seem to be having a brown algae problem. :p But I can't get algae to grow in my daphnia tank (they eat it too fast). The luck of the draw.

N

nathan

when ever i put java moss into my tank it ends up disappearing, its strange hmm
alien.gif
oh and i think gimpy is a cool name i recon you should keep it

(Message edited by archino on June 16, 2005)

A

anne-marie

Yeah, actually Rheann, I like the name Gimpy. I think its actually the name of a town in New South Wales, Australia but you can't have everything going your way .
happy.gif

R

rheann

lol Anne
happy.gif
I had a black cricket as a pet long ago that was missing a leg. i named him Gimpy. After I learned about those horse hair worms that live in side black crickets...eww... I don't want to pick them up anymore. They don't harm humans, but it sure grosses me out! I was thinking of calling him Dimples, but not sure yet. Anyone got any cute name suggestions for him? I would love to hear them
happy.gif

R

rheann

I loved my cricket Gimpy. I kept him in a coffee can for the longest time, and he would sing to me too. Drove the rest of my family nuts, they even tried to sneak him out, but I caught them red handed! He loved Lemon Merange pie.
Rest In Peace Gimpy...

R

rheann

oh... I think I was 16. I didn't have a social life. I stayed at home talking to my cricket and playing video games and drawing pictures... so sad...

N

natasha

I never get algae in my axie tank, but always lots of it in my goldfish tank. I was told it's the light that causes it.

Oh dear, Rheann my axies staple is crickets....*runs away and hides*

R

rheann

lol Natasha
happy.gif
I feed my axies crickets too. After I found out the parasites that live in wild crickets... I don't keep them as pets anymore, though I think they're still cute...from a distance now though lol ;)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!