Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

My black Axolotls picture

R

rheann

I posted this picture in the sick Axolotl forum. Only the black one pictured is my Axolotl, which I named Grimace, all the rest aren't, he was just kept in the tank with the others. I didn't take this picture, the person I ordered him from took the picture before I recieved them. The Gravel in the tank wasn't a good idea, but I just wanted to get a pic up of my Black Axolotl, I couldn't resist
happy.gif
I'll have my own pictures up as soon as I can get that roll of film finished and put on a cd
happy.gif
I have lots of pictures to share!
37803.jpg

G

grant

How cute!! lol, my axie looks just like the little golden only mine is a little bigger (or he seems like he is).

R

rheann

its funny too, Grant, because the white one at teh top right is a Luescistic, if it would have just been facing the other way, there would have been a picture of nearly the whole set Lol. The little albino is so cute in the picture, he's so small
happy.gif
because when I got Grimace, he was really small, as well as my white one, so that one is really itty bitty!
lol.gif

A

anne-marie

Thats sortof a blue/black colour is it? I haven't seen many of those before.

R

rheann

It sure is Anne
happy.gif
His belly his blue, and his upper part is somewhat purple, mostly black, he's a solid color except for two or three spots on his tail.

H

halszka

I had the shop assistants at Pet Magic in Cannington telling me that the wild types in their tanks were melanoids :D I should show them this picture.. none of the ones they had were anywhere near this dark or this uniform in colour.

Grimace is an awesome colour. I'd love to have such a dark axie, such a contrast to the white and gold!

R

rheann

When the light hits him just right, his blue belly really shows compared to his black back. His eyes are also so very dark, there isn't any reflectant in his eyes, so they are just one solid color, which gives the illusion that they are really big. it's so cute! Like Anne said, everyone should have one. Took me ages to find one! I feel so lucky!

H

halszka

I want to get a third axolotl once my tank finishes cycling. Plenty of room for three of the lil buggers. Might have to hunt around for a while before I find a true melanoid though
happy.gif
Good job on getting one!

R

rheann

I hope you find one, Halszka
happy.gif
Black axies and white ones with black eyes are my favorite
happy.gif

H

halszka

Have you seen a pic of a harlequin axie? Those are niiiiiice, white with black spots all over them but as rare as hen's teeth by the looks of things. I've only seen photos in a book and the book is over 20 years old!

R

rheann

My white Axolotl has a few brown/black colored freckles on the tip of his nose, other than that, I have seen a Harlequin Axie on a book cover about Axolotls, and a nice one on this site in this forum entitled Quick silver and wee-man. The axie pictured there white with black eyes, but he also has black gills. he's so cute! I think Claire's Axie has black on his face too, but they are freckles. I think it's so cute when Axolotls get freckles. Aren't Harelguin Axolotls bred from black Axolotl parent with a white Axolotl with black eyes? I hope so, maybe I will get some Harequins out of the bunch of babies my axies will have, concidering if the black and white are both male and female lol. I can't tell for sure yet. for now I am just calling the black one Grimace.

N

nathan

its a good pic looks like they have been lined up from smallest to largest. my favourite axies are the ones that are wight with black eyes too although i don't have one
sad.gif

(Message edited by archino on June 15, 2005)

V

vanessa

I wanna get a black axie (of course I'll show you my TRUE melanoid!!).

H

halszka

I think it's a bit harder than just mixing a dark axie with a white one, otherwise there would be plenty of the harlequin ones around, and there isn't. I've no idea how they are bred, I haven't been able to find any information on that, either offline or online. Good luck with trying to breed one though
happy.gif

A

anne-marie

It would be some kind of co-dominance in the genes, I guess to get that separate colour effect. Axie genes crossover I believe so could be plausible.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1