Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

River Bed Setup / Axie eggs and babies.

L

lisa

YAY miraculously my camera decided to work, so I took some photos. Firstly in regard to the river bed setup, I have a photo of my 3ft.
36443.jpg

Secondly I have a photo of the melanoid\wildtype eggs.
36444.jpg

And one with steve hiding in the background.
36445.jpg

And finally my rearing setup, and photos of the melanoid\leucistic hatchlings. It's so cool, some are see through and some have black on them...
36446.jpg

36447.jpg
36448.jpg

And for good luck some photos of my new wildtype, alan.
36449.jpg

36450.jpg

M

madeleine

Wow..

And I'm excited about getting 2 in a few weeks
happy.gif

That's pretty impressive!

I love the one foot on the bucket pose, by the way :p

C

cynthia

Lisa - very nice!

I really like the pattern on your new wild type.

S

sharon

Oh those are lovely pictures!! I am so looking forward to babies... lol I haven't even bothered to sex them all but sure there is at least a pair in there somewhere among mine!

Sharon

J

joan

The only concern may be that your substrate is really thick. This could cause anaerobic conditions near the bottom unless you stir it up regularly. Otherwise, it's gorgeous.

C

clare

blob.gif
What a beautiful tank and how natural. It really is a credit to you. The babies are so cute. I've never bred, How old are they in the photo?

A

anne-marie

Ah, the old breeder's setup. Where would we be without plastic crates???
lol.gif

G

grant

That is probably the best looking tank set up I have ever seen. Also, that wildtype has a cool pattern, looks like camo lol. Thanks for the pictures. And by the way what type of plants are those?

L

lisa

Thankyou very much on all your compliments. I will now post a quick disjointed message answering all your questions.

The babies are about 1 week out of their eggs. 3 weeks since laying.
The other eggs are about 2 weeks old. I expect them to hatch any day now.

I have had some worries about the sand and I think I'm going to change it to pool filter sand, maybe mix some other sands in with it to make a natural looking mix... I'll have to see when I have time between water changes and brine shrimp harvestings.

Grant, it is obvious you love the look of a "natural tank" as much as I do. I suggest you visit www.plantedtank.org - there are some absolutely breathtaking aquariums. The main plant I use is called vallisneria. There are a couple of different types. I also have a little bit of foxtail left, the rest got ripped to shreds and made the tank look like a tossed salad. And some java moss I'm trying to get to attatch to the terracotta pots. Oh and banana lillies, I cant remember their real name.

G

grant

Yea I love the natural look. Currently I have just a 10 gallon tank with my one little axie in it. I don't have any live plants, but I have been trying to find java moss to attatch to stuff but with no luck. The bottom of the tank is just large smooth river rocks, but I am going to change to sand because it makes it so hard to clean. But very nice tank and thanks for the link!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!