Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

LAST BRAG I swear...

S

sharon

Ok now that I got this pic thing figured out.. I'm dying to show you guys...
This pic is one year ago
35408.jpg

This pic is today - its hard to tell how much bulkier he is and longer... but no way will he fit completely in my hand like before.
35409.jpg

These are pics of my largest Whites' Tree Frogs
35410.jpg

35411.jpg

These are pics of my smallest
35412.jpg

35413.jpg

N

natasha

What happened to your axies gills in the second pic? is it morphing or are they just flat against it's head and we can not see them?

A

anne-marie

I've noticed that in my axies, their gills tend to shrink as they age. Perhaps this is in inverse proportion with the development of their lungs? Or the fact that adults tend to be housed in better conditions (ie filtered, oxygenated water) for O2 exchange than larvae?

S

sharon

they are pretty small aren't they... they are actually very/fairly furry looking... they are just down. lol I love that HUGE gill thing.. their filter is at minimum and I haven't cleaned the tank in a couple of weeks - lol my bulb syringe thingy broke. Ah well... they are fat and healthy. Thanks for looking guys!!

G

grant

Nice, I love the yellow albinos. Also, I have some whites and I have some that are around 4 years old and huge!! lol, they actually eat about 1 "fuzzy" everyweek or 2 (thats where they get their calcium).

S

sharon

hhhmmm I breed feeder mice - haven't tried a mouse on mine ....

A

anne-marie

Sharn, I saw frozen mice in an aquarium shop today. The thought did cross my mind...

J

joan

It's common enough. Pinkies and fuzzies are a good source of calcium.

S

sharon

omg I shudder to think of the poop that I'm gonna have to clean up after... think my imagination has gone over board.

E

edward

The "poop" isn't really any different that that from worms unless the item has fur. The fur can come loose from the fecal and suspend in the tank until the filter takes care of it.

Domestic mice are a good source of calcium as long as the usually high levels of vitamin A are balanced through the addition of D3 to the diet or are used as an occasional food item.

Ed

S

sharn

GROSS! poor mice....im with sharon my imagination has gone overboard too

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1