New Axies!

andrew

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Andy Baker
Heres my new axies in there temporary tank while a cycle the otherone! Any suggestions for tank decorations? They arived alright although missing some legs, (one of them seems to have some exposed bone coming out of one of his legs. Is that it growing back? Take a look! Sorry about the picture quality i have found that taking picutres in fishtanks is hard
35862.jpg

35863.jpg

35864.jpg

35865.jpg

Very nice Andrew
happy.gif
I love the snacking in the dish picture.

Mine like the PVC connectors to hide in, and the ever popular half a flower pot.

You might want to add some salt to the water while their legs start to heal over. I added what would be equal to 1 teaspoon of salt to 2 liters of water until their stumps were healed over and growing back.

There so cute! They look to be about the size of mine (3-4 inches and growing fast!)

The stumps are all healed, i think, nothing seems to be bleeding or scabed of anything like that, the ends are just missing... Should i still add salt? Thanks

Hers a couple of ideas mate a few big rocks but not to many they will look a bit weird at first but soon alge will grow on them an they will look sweet an diversify with your plants large at ther back an in the front corners small at front middle an try a few different types but make sure there suited to cold water i found you cant go wrong with the natural look slate caves are good especiely for the first coulpe of weeks while they are becoming accustom to their new home cynthia made some pretty cool pvc caves too covered in rocks also dont start big get small plants an let them grow out in your tank as plant aquaculturing can be just as fun as keeping your axies

aww that one in the feeding dish is soooo cute! makes him look so small! very nice andrew

Andrew - If you do not think they need the salt then don't add it. If you are going to be adding live plants to that tank then you probably don't want to salt the tank. Just salt bath individuals as needed.

I sometimes add a little salt to the water. I just use about a teaspoon to 10 gallons and don't measure well. I throw some in as I am setting up the brine shrimp hatchery. The stubs aren't sore so they should grow back nicely on their own. Axolotls do best in hard water. If your water is not hard consider adding salt, Hoftretters solution or something like that,
If blood spots, blood streaks, or ratty looking fins show up it is time to medicate. If this happens let me know I'll give you a few options. In an optimum set up it shouldn't happen.

Here's another picture, man its hard to get a digital camera to focus!
35989.jpg

And here is my solution to artificial light without it being to bright... (plus the light was there first lol) Its brighter than it shows in the picture... But not alot
35992.jpg

It really is hard to get the camera not to focus on the glass. I take like 20 pictures to get one that turns out ok.

Some day I hope to be able to afford a better camera .

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back