Too much oxygen?

J

jeff

I got one of those bubble wand/tubes that goes along the bottom and has the nice wall of bubbles on the back side of the tank.

Im worried that the oxygen levels are allready oversaturated, as I see so many on the sides. Heres the catch though, im only using a air pump for a ten gallon tank in a 20 gallon. That alone made me think that it would all work, but now I am not so sure. Does anyone else think this is a problem? I had them in this tank for a few days without filtration and it seems like the gills got bigger and more robust, or perhaps it only appeared that way.

bottom line, is there a danger involved with oxygen oversaturation?

I don't know about oxygen oversaturation but
I wonder if the bubble wall could create too much current.

Perhaps moving the bubble wall from the floor up to a few inches from the surface, or moving it to a side of the tank, and/or adding a valve and turning the air flow down? I know these ideas probably ruin the intent of having the bubble wall in the first place.

The gills on my axolotls "appear" different at different times (even in the same day). When they are more active their gills appear larger and fuller.

The current is fine, barly anything. Its the oxygen itself I am concerned about.

I dont thnk your axie will have much of a problem if there is too much oxygen anyway. My axie has a bubble wall and a filter in her tank and she's fine^_^

Just because there are air bubbles in your tank, that doesn't mean your oxygen levels have increased. I think if you oxygen levels did increase, the only side effect would be smaller gills.

Thanks for the input, I will see how it goes. I think the gills did get bigger while the tank was being unfiltered and non-"bubbled".

What is it that the dude at the fishstore told me about too much oxygen is bad?

If the bubbles produced are very tiny, I actually *would* worry somewhat about oversaturation of the water with gas. Any time the tank temperature rises a couple of degrees, you could end up with supersaturated gas, which can cause gas bubble disease (bubbles inside the skin).

Besides appearance, is there any reason to use the bubble wand? I'd suggest decreasing the air flow, or replacing the wand with a small, course airstone.

I was just worried about this stuff last night! This is a great source of info!
I took my bubble wand off and just dropped the tube in, although I think I'll put the small stone back on it....I notice a strong current in my tank with the bubble wand. I also have a ten gallon pump in my 20 gallon tank.
Is there a such thing as too little oxygen?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back