Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

"climbing" furniture for axies

M

mary

Hi there, just wondered if anyone had "furniture" in their tanks that their axies can walk up. I was watching my axie'little feet trying to move up the glass- without success- to help himself get to the top. It struck me that he would maybe benefit from some kind of ladder!!

T

tom

I have a heater in my tank which now it is summer i have un plugged. However i left it in as my axie loves climbing up it, it's diagonal so she can go up easily. She often tries to balance upright on it or she climbs up to the top then jumps of and floats to the bottom. You could replicate this by putting a long piece of drift wood at the back of the tank.

J

joan

Just keep in mind that driftwood can leach tannic acid into the water, turning it brown and murky and slightly acidic. Usually it's only a problem aestetically. The brown water looks gross.

T

tom

Forgot about that. If driftwood is a problem try a plastic pipe or rock.

R

rob

if u have tannins from driftwood just use Seachem
purigen, it's a bit expensive but it works
happy.gif

M

mary

I was wondering about a plastic ladder like you would find in a rat or bird cage! a Axie stair case would be cool!!

kapo

Reaction score
Ours tend to half climb or lean against their glass - one also tend to rest on side of the internal filter, which is also diagonal inside the tank, same as Toms. One of my friends got a bag of large stones from petshop ($10) for 9/10 big slab stones (they are about six inches long and oval/rounded edges) He has set them up so they look like steps in the tank as he cudn't afford a bridge for his tank. But it looks cool and his axies rest on different levels of the steps/stones.

M

mary

that sounds neat- i might try something like that! i was wondering about a brick but it may have lots of dust..??

kapo

Reaction score
I wondered about bricks too when we first setup our tanks, but hubby was adamant he didn't want them in the tanks, just in case it leached anything. I went and bought a bag today, is a bit dearer at our petshop ($13.95), but theres some really nice big stones; and have spent the evening moving them round (nice contrast to the sand too, as they are a light grey; so can see our dark axies when they sit on them!)

A

alex

is there any reason for them wanting to do this? is there more oxygen in the higher part of the tank?. mine also do this alot.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1