Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Earthworms

F

firebugjen

so earthworms are good to feed your axie as a staple diet, yeah? So does anyone know where i can find them? Or do i have to 'harvest' them myself?

cheers

H

hayley-jane

I get mine out of my garden, but only because I know for a fact that we don't use any chemicals etc

If there is a Walmart where you live you can buy them from there -called 'Night Crawlers'.

If not then try a fishing shop?

frog.gif

L

laura

Have you got access to a compost heap? They are full of earthworms.

Laura

J

joan

Compost worms may be distasteful to your axolotls. Unless they're really greedy and eat anything that comes near
happy.gif

L

laura

Mine have always enjoyed worms. Plus if they come from your own compost heap you know for certain what the worms have been eating. Obviously if you use chemicals in your garden and then compost the garden rubbish, it's not such a good idea.

Laura

J

joão

my axolotls love earthworms, it´s their favourite food.
I´ve got my first earthworms from a good pet shop, and then made, a box for them and now I have , millions of healthy earthworms

H

hayley-jane

UK people - do you think PetSmart or PetsAtHome sell Earthworms?

Maybe as part of a farm?

C

charlie

in the uk try www.wormsdirect.com they'll post them to you in tubs..i've always found them to be quick and reliable - can't vouch for the tastiness - for that you'd have to ask Snork!

H

hayley-jane

lol Charlie
happy.gif

Joan - why would compost (or redworms) be distasteful to axolotls?
frog.gif

J

joan

They secrete a distasteful fluid when they're cut/chomped on. Some axolotls are pigs and eat 'em anyway. Mine will, but some of the other sals are picky and won't touch them, so I just use earthworms for everyone.

L

laura

Compost worms are earthworms. Why would compost earthworms secrete distasteful fluid but other earthworms not do this?

H

hayley-jane

Okay
happy.gif

When Elsa chomps hard on a red worm this white liquid comes out, guess that's what your on about?

Nah she don't seem to mind at all
happy.gif
Never seen her eat with such passion since I changed to red worms!
frog.gif

I thought red worms were compost worms and earthworms were summat else? *confused again* lol

L

laura

I am talking about earthworms that come naturally out of the soil into a compost heap, rather than worms bought in specially to add to a compost bin. The ones that have colonised our compost heaps are reddish in colour. As Peter Scott says in his book, 'the small red earthworms from a compost heap are greatly appreciated by axolotls'.
Maybe this clears thing up?

H

hayley-jane

oh okay
happy.gif

The earthworms in my garden are just pink, the ones I brought from the shop are reddish in colour.

Never had a compost heap, maybe they come up then

L

laura

You are right, they are not the same species, but the term earthworm covers the whole class of worms, Oligochaeta, which includes compost worms. The two other classes of worms are Hirudinea (leeches) and Polychaeta (usually marine worms).
happy.gif

F

firebugjen

Hey i went to a market the other day and they were selling axies there and one looked exactly the same as mine but i bit fatty, I asked the guy what kind of food i can use to fatten mine up and he asked me what I feed him and i told him beef heart and a few crickets (not yet earth worms because im trying to harvest my own) and he said axies dont like change and that i should stick to the same type of food otherwise they sulk and dont eat. Could this be the case? Ive heard differently on here. And another thing i mentioned how i heard that earthworms were a good staple diet and that it might fatten em up, and he said sternly, i advise u not to feed axies earthworms. I was shocked that everything he said was the opposite of what ive heard on here. Plus i like asking around at different places to see what kind of advice they give out to their customers, uh oh! Well what do you guys think?

But i believe that earthworms are good as a staple diet for your axie right? and what about the changing of the diet? (I dont like that idea, it takes the fun out of it)

cheers

H

hayley-jane

It does get confusing when different people say different things. The store I got mine from tell me something 'new' everytime I go.

Like last week, their axies were in a tank with a temp of 30C - so I told them nicely that was too high. They told me that axies like hot water and the cold is bad for them! yeah right

Earthworms are fine as a staple diet - its what I feed mine and she loves them.

As for changing what they eat - thats just strange. Elsa was on bloodworm for the first 2 years I had her, then I switched to earthworms and she eats with such relish (excuse the punn) now - before she could barely be bothered to eat.

I have no idea why this guy would tell you otherwise?

I really think you should change to earthworms and although many axie books say beef heart is okay, a lot of us on here agree that its best only as a treat - as its a food they would never eat in their natural environment.

happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif

(Message edited by PlantH2O on September 06, 2005)

J

joan

People try to sound smart. Especially if they think the person they're talking to has no idea about the subject, so they can say anything and sound intelligent.

I agree with switching to earthworms. Mine get earthworms regularly, with waxworms, bloodworms, crickets, etc as an occasional treat. The thing with beefheart is that it can be fatty, and it's always good to vary the diet of your animals.

H

hayley-jane

Firebugjen - did he give a reason as to why you shouldn't feed axies earthworms?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!