Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Advice needed PLEASE

B

bekki

I have a 4ft tank and 1 axie. The tank is bare except for a few large pebbles.
My first question is, is my tank to empty or maybe to big for my axie?
There was originaly a little castle etc but he seemed to bump into them and i was anxiouse he may harm him self hence the tank is stightly empty. The other issue is that he dosnt swim at all he just walks about, is that normall or does he have issues?
Finaly does anyone know the life expetancy of the little creatures? :)

(Message approved by admin)

M

mik

Hi Beckie....Life expectancy can be as much as 15 years.

Tanks...many people seem to keep their tanks fairly empty because when our beasties decide to swim they really move. Plus they are beggars for rooting up weeds. Mine spend a most of time idly standing on bottom or milling around. But everyday they decide to do laps for a while.

I have a layer of pebbles in my tank for the colour/aestetics and so they have texture to walk on. Underneath the pebbles is gravel (I use an under gravel filter). Problem with stones is hoovering out the big lumps of waste.

I feed mine in another tank so I can check they all eat and so that uneaten food doesn't foul the water.

Axies do like some where to go sometimes so something like a rock with a hole in it or a bit of plastic pipe gives them somewhere to retreat to if they're fed up with the world.

4ft tank is big enough for 4 large Axies. But definately too small for 6! Don't think it's possible to have too big a tank ;-)

B

bekki

You are a star, thankyou for that, you have put my mind at rest.

Thanks again Mikki

(Message approved by admin)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1