The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotl General Discussion Open axolotl forum: if it doesn't fit in the sub-topics then post it here.

Old 14th March 2007   #1
tracy

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I've just got my first axolotl. Click the image to open in full size. he/she (sex is not known just yet)only between 8 and 10cms long and soo cute wish i had got one earlier!! his/her name is sergeant (sargt)this is to do with colour. and thats is my question really sargt is green not a bright green but more a camo green (darkish) is this a natural colour or not?

Old 14th March 2007   #2
karrie

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Yes it is an wild type they come in all shades would love to see a pic!

Old 15th March 2007   #3
tracy

Gallery Images:
Comments:

have taken a couple pic's of sargt. such a poser making sure i get his best side. Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size.

Old 15th March 2007   #4
tracy

Gallery Images:
Comments:

this is my wee fella Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size.

Old 15th March 2007   #5
karrie

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Yes vary cute how long have you had him?

Old 15th March 2007   #6
Ryan
(ryan)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: ryan has started on the right path

Neat colors.

ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2007   #7
sarah

Gallery Images:
Comments:

He's beautiful,but if I were you I'd take the gravel out of the tank,just in case.

Old 16th March 2007   #8
Ryan
(ryan)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: ryan has started on the right path

I'm worried about gravel with my mudpuppy too. I hand feed him so I don't have to worry abut it as much.

ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2007   #9
tracy

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I hand feed him so that he doesn't eat the stones and i have a larger flat rock in the corner where im training him to eat his food. he's a fast learner which is fun.and i've had him one week and one day not that im being too exact about the time hehe.Click the image to open in full size.

Old 16th March 2007   #10
kapo
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Rep: kapo is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgkapo is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgkapo is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgkapo is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgkapo is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgkapo is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgkapo is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgkapo is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgkapo is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgkapo is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Hi Tracey, just to let you know even with handfeeding your axolotl will snuffle round the gravel, usually at night (as they tend to "hunt" for food during the night while we sleep) and will swallow some.

We have four axies that were on small gravel up to 1cm size as well as those round glass pebbles you can get) They've been pooing out the stuff over the last 12-15months (thanfully no more glass pebbles). Our axies were lucky but it can block them up pretty bad and at worst cause a prolapse.

kapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2007   #11
tracy

Gallery Images:
Comments:

good to know will keep an eye on him

Old 18th March 2007   #12
katlynn

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Beautiful axolotl!!! I'm getting one for the first time too!!! I think I'm going to name it Spike. I love their gills!! They are so SPIKEY!! ( Wink wink).Click the image to open in full size.

Old 18th March 2007   #13
tracy

Gallery Images:
Comments:

his are soo fluffy and he is getting use to me touching him i just stroke his side or top of his head just to let him know im not going to hurt him. but i have gone with the suggested sand in place of small stones after thinking about it and wanting the best for him.

Old 18th March 2007   #14
kapo
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Rep: kapo is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgkapo is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgkapo is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgkapo is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgkapo is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgkapo is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgkapo is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgkapo is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgkapo is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgkapo is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

You should avoid handling/stroking your axie unless absolutely necessary as the oils and stuff from our hands can damage their slimecoat and delicate skin.

kapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2007   #15
sarah

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I would still remove the gravel,better to be safe than sorry.

Old 20th March 2007   #16
tracy

Gallery Images:
Comments:

gravel is now gone and have layer of sand looks soooo much better, wish had done it first.

Tags
axolotl, colours

(View-All Members who have read this thread since 18th February 2018, 05:17 (Set) (Clear)

There are no names to display.