Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

What do you feed your axolotls?

N

nora

I was wondering what people fed their axolotls?

Today, while I was rummaging through drawers and cleaning, I found a glass amber coloured heavy bowl. I washed it and put it in Gonnies tank and he used it! I'm trying to stop him from eating gravel so this is my fallback until I can get a new tank with sand.

I feed him:

FLOATING: Fed with small pair of stainless steel tweezers
Tetra Baby Shrimp
Freeze-Dried Tubifex Worm Cubes (in small chunks)
Hikari Food Sticks

SINKING: In bowl
Allpet Axolotl Pellets
Aquarium Science Axolotl Pellets
DuplaRin Food Sticks (XL)
Freeze-Dried Bloodworms
Hikari Sinking Carnevore Pellets

FRESH/FROZEN: In bowl
Stirfry beef strips
"Fish Dinner" Cubes (mix of frozen worms and fish)
Earthworms
Brine Shrimp

As you can see he has a VERY nice diet! He probably gets the beef and sinking foods the most (he likes everything!) and sometimes he gets beef liver. What do you feed your axies? (I have enough food to last me twenty years! Thank god I'm allowed to get more axies next year!)

N

natashja

i feed my axies a home made mix of
frozen bloodworm
mycis
daphnia
brineshrimp
glassworm
lancetfish
driede daphnia
tubiflex
shrimps
axolotl pelletsof unknown brand

i put it al in the blender mash it mix it with gelatine let it set, and cut out thin worms.
they love it
proud.gif

but sometimes they also get shrimps, salmon or lancetfish alone just to ad some spice to there life

ooooh yes i almost forgot
they have a steady suply of baby snailes to hunt and munch, they love ramshorn

S

sara

I feed mine garden worms, blood worms, fatless meat (they had turkey christmas day...) and lambs liver... A bit boring compared what else has been posted here but at least its all organic...
uhoh.gif

C

craig

Boring old me, I'm not a fan of frozen food (partly because I know it can cause problems with the bigger 'lotls (if they gulp it down before it has fully melted it can cause the 'lotl to bob about on the top of the water for a while))...

So I feed mine on worms, mealworms, crickets and anything else that wriggles around (I also fed them on bloodworms, daphnia etc. but they're all a little too big for those now, even the 'lotl I've just rescued!)

K

karrie

Mine live frozen blood worms, frozen beef heart And sometimes frozen brine shrimp. I have never had a problem with frozen food. I all ways have lots in the freezer. I defrost it in a little paper cup full of the tank water. Use a turkey baster to suck it up and drop it in the food dish. I read some were on here that the freezed-dried cubes have less vitamins.

K

kellie

Chokito gets frozen bloodworms, frozen brineshrimp and axie pellets. She loves all her food. I think she also eats the baby snails, because I have seen the snails mating but no baby snails for awhile. And she also ate the 3 glass shrimp that I put in so will defitinly get her some more of them.

C

callum

I think the question is what cant u feed them because they will eat:
Frozen bloodworms
Axie pellets
Peas
shrimp
guppies
crickets
mealworms
worms
raw meat (including cows heart)
I feed mine frozen bloodworms and the ocassional earthworm i find.

N

natashja

peas ????????
i didn`t think that they could digest veggies

K

kaysie

Just because they can't digest them doesn't mean they won't eat them. Mine occasionally take a chunk out of the aquarium plants and eat that.

connorsbala

Reaction score
-Hikari SInking carnivore pellets
-Some other type of sinking pellets called high-grow
-Bloodworm(live and frozen as i get live food for free)
-Live Tubifex, if i can be bothered wiht the hassle of them burying themselves in the sand...stupid worms
-Frozen Beefheart
-Live Glassworm
-Live river shrimp

naymo

Reaction score
I feed my new axie live mealworms..
I cut of their heads before so the dont hurt him.
and because im just starting i feed him with tweezers and drop infront of him..
He loves them.
Im gunna get some pellets too

Whitewolf89

Reaction score
My boyfriend feeds his on frozen bloodworm and pellets but just wondering can you feed them dried mealworms?

mccullough

Reaction score
Any good ideas for 8 week old axies? I have live blackworms..but most escape into the sand :-(

Alkylhalide

Reaction score
Any good ideas for 8 week old axies? I have live blackworms..but most escape into the sand :-(

I would try keeping it bare bottom for them to ensure they are eating properly :) Blackworms or bloodworms are fine for their age. Once they are big enough to get on earthworms thats the best for them :) (I need to wait till fishing season to get earthworms, unless I get lucky and find some somewhere)

EJgraydon

Reaction score
Do you think it's okay to pick up earthworms from a chain outdoors retail store? I work at one and could get them for pretty much free.
For those of you in the US, the store is Academy Sports and Outdoors

Deezoo

Reaction score
I get my earthworms from a gas station. They sell them for fishing. So that outdoor store would probably have something similar. I axl eats them fine.

Axel22

Reaction score
I feed my Axel bloodworms I buy at petsmart. I have to cut it in 4 peases . he takes it out of my hand and sometimes attacks my fingers. he is 4 inches now . I give him frozen bloodworms that i have thought out first and shrimp pellets. I have no idea how much he should eat a day.he is a lot of fun and I would like to get another one. right know I have him in a 10 gallon tank.he will go in my 46 gallon tank when he gets bigger and I think he should not be by himself

Holly12

Reaction score
In his bowl I put:

Sinking salamander/newt pellets (he sometimes eats them)
Bug Bite Granules - main ingredient is BSFL (can't tell if he eats them... they crumble after a while)
Frozen Blood Worms
Frozen Mysis Shrimp
Frozen Krill
(I want to get frozen Glass Worms)

He gets the granules and pellets daily and every few days I switch the frozen food.

Daily, with tongs, he gets 3-4 Phoenix worms (Black Soldier Fly Larva) each morning and 3-4 before bed.

When my colony of red wiggler worms breeds, he will be getting those daily.

Does anyone know if bsfl are ok as a staple? He's doubled in size since I got him a month ago, regrown all the missing toes on his left legs, healed his lame left leg and grown big fuzzy gills from the stubs he had.

Megez

Reaction score
My adults eat Earthworms, occasionally whatever else the other reptiles dont eat (they're my disposal units lol) - Hiccup has enjoyed the Repashy Grub Pie for a while too as she was off worms for a few months.

My little ones pig out on the frozen Bloodworms, they didn't really like the frozen adult brine shrimp as much.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!