Pickerel or northern leopard?

D

dane

can someone tell me if this is a leopard or pickerel I think its a pickerel, thanks
71268.jpg

71269.jpg

71270.jpg

It is a pickerel frog. The dead give away is the rectangular "spots".

awsome, this is the first time I've ever seen one!

thats one more off the checklist of herps to find in my lifetime

Pickerels are getting more and more rare these days, as are all amphibians. Good find.

It is a pickeral frog. There is one very important thing about them you should know. They are highly toxic. If collected and put in a bucket or terrarium with other amphibians its poison can and has been known to kill them. So keep it in its own container!!! I still find them regularly in PA. This summer I caught one large male in Pheonixville PA. I also collected a tadpole in Berks County Pa which morphed out nicley. I also saw an adult male at that location.

Last edited:
Another characteristic is the yellow on the inner thighs. They are easy to ID here (Western NC) because we do not get Leopard Frogs!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back