Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

There's a toad in my basement

B

benjamin

Who would have geused that a rundown wine cellar was the hibernation spot of frogs, toads, and newts.

27404.jpg

Here's a big toad who lives in the cellar year round, except in mid spring.

27405.jpg

R

rubén

a good guardian dog , ha ha ha... surely that you sleep more safe now
blob.gif

D

danny

How do these little guys find a way into your basement? Is there a little tunnel that they follow from outside?

B

benjamin

There's a gutter that leads into the basement but I have no Idea where it comes from. The basement only opens to the out side, where there are steps leading down to it, and about a 5 inch gap under the door. I'm sure newts can easily climb up and down these steps, the frogs can hop, the toads, especially the big ones, I'm not sure about.

D

danny

The basements are really different here in Canada. Every home Ive been in the basement is literally sealed off and the only thing that gets in is the water from a really heavy rainstorm! I know at my dads house the toads always find their way into his garage through the 'dog door' my dad put in, they hop right up and push the plastic to get in! Tough little critters, sadly though usually find the toad flattened after the car has backed out
angel.gif
R.I.P little toadies

B

benjamin

I used to visit the basement more frequently and I would feed the toad earthworms, it was very tame then, but this time it behaved very defensively.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1