I need Peacock Tree Frog information.

J

john

Hey all. I am getting a peacock tree frog (Leptopelis vermiculatus) in like a week and I am having trouble finding enough information about them. I need info like,

1. temp
2. what to use for heat because I heard amphibians dont do well with heat bulbs.
3. Humidity.
4. UVB?
5. Feeding schedule.
6. How to get a female so I dont here chirping all the time.

Take a look at this: http://www.pollywog.co.uk/usumbarapeacockcaresheet.html

Don't worry about the chirping they tend to make a "Tok" noise
smile6.gif

Thats the one I found. LOL. Thx guys. What temp F is that. I dont know Celcius. And what is there life span. Also, what should I use to heat the tank. Would an UTH work for the side of the tank so the heat is higher up. Thx again.

(Message edited by nuggular on February 27, 2005)

No offense, but you really should be able to find some way to convert Celsius to Fahrenheit. Worldwide, Celcius is the norm, and you can't expect the rest of the world to convert for you. If you have a thermometer with both scales, that will convert for you (just read across from one scale to the other). Or, there are many online conversion sites. Here is one:
http://www.sciencemadesimple.com/conversions.html

WOW! Jen posted in the Anurans section!!
happy.gif

Wanna buy a frog Jen?
happy.gif
happy.gif

lol. I guess I'm just lazy. I figured it out last night. I did what you said on the thermometer. lOl. sry for being lazy guys. How long do they live for, the care sheet says nothing about that. Thx again.

I could not say in the care sheet as I do not have that info available to me but Will is probably about right, I would expect at least 10 years.

I see. Also, what should I use to heat the tank. I have a small UTH that I could put on the side of the tank. I have a 20 gallon hexagon tank. So the 5 gallon UTH fits right on one of those sides. Would that be alright. I have a temp gun so I can get his temps right. Should I provide a UTH on the bottom as well. Also, the tank has two of the sides as mirrors. I tried to scrape it off with a razor blade, but to no avail. Will these mirrors stress the frog in any way or cause it to "tok" because it sees another one. Should I get some non-toxic paint and paint over the glass on the inside so you cant see the mirrors. I just dont want to stress it out.

What humidity should it be? I have some repti-carpet, would that be ok to put of the mirrors?

I do not advise the use of mirrored backings in frog enclosures, you can stick something onto the inside of the tank to hide it, cork or coco panels would do well.
You can use a heatmat on either the base or side of the tank, also if you use a compact fluorescent for lighting this will provide a bit more heat. I have a similar sized hex tank housing Red-eyed Treefrogs, I use an 11"x11" heat mat on the base and a compact lamp at the top and it does the job nicely.

I'm curious now, what is that life expectancy based on? In anurans life spans are all across the board....

Ed

It's based on pure guesswork Ed, as I said I do not have that information available so just took a guess, do you have any idea?

Alan: you never know where I may turn up.
wink.gif
My curiosity is boundless, but I'm afraid that my tank space is not. I don't see any frogs in my future.
sick.gif

I here ya. Im running out of tank space as well. This frog will be the last of my new pets for a long time.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back