Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

British journal of herpetology

han

Reaction score
i'm looking for a (scanned) copy of:
a preliminary note on the care and breeding
of Bombina maxima (Boulenger 1905)in
captivity; by M. Sparreboom/P. van den Elzen
(1982); British Journal of Herpetology 6:
pp. 269-272

caleb

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I have this- I'll have a look over the weekend. If not, I do have Max Sparreboom's article from the BHS Bulletin (1999, I think) which is an update of the original one. I can scan either if you want.

Do you breed maxima? I've bred them for a few years now, but I find raising the young toadlets surprisingly difficult.

han

Reaction score
hi!!

both articles would be great! no i'm not a maxima keeper/breeder (yet),but after 15 years of orientalis-keeping i would like to give it a try, building a new aquaterrarium and collecting as much information i can get on maxima.
so many thanks in advance for posting the articles (j.k.pit@rocu.nl).
what's the difficulty in raising the young toadlets?

han.

caleb

Reaction score

han

Reaction score
Hi Caleb,

I've raised hundreds of orientalis-toadlets over
the years and experimented alot, especially with
temperature: the result of a cool(60-63F)slow development of eggs, larvae and tadpoles will be
a better metamorphosis, bigger and stronger toadlets, easier to feed and no mortality at all.
as far as orientalis is concerned.
like to hear about your findings this year!
thanks for taking the trouble scanning and sending
the articles!!
Han.

caleb

Reaction score
Hello again,

I've raised quite a few orientalis and variegata. I've had few problems with them at any temperature- I've not tried any as low as 60F, though.

I have some maxima tadpoles at the moment that are at about 15C/55F. One is metamorphosing at the moment, and it's no larger than those that metamorphosed in the summer.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1