The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Large Aquatic Salamanders (Hellbenders/Cryptobranchids, Necturus, Siren, etc.) This topic covers Cryptobranchids like the hellbender and Asian giant salamanders, as well as sirens, mud puppies, and amphiumas.

Old 22nd May 2007   #1
Jennewt
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 97
Comments: 46
Rep: Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11
Default Siren i. intermedia captive breeding

I have some great news! Jean Raffaelli asked me to post these photos, as he is having difficulty accessing his forum profile at the moment. Here is the message from Jean:
I wanted to post these 2 photos of reproduction of Siren i. intermedia, I think for the 1st time in captivity. The pair was already in the tank for 3 years. The eggs have been discovered last week under a stone.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Siren-i-eggs-larva620.jpg
Views:	2967
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	208   Click image for larger version

Name:	Siren-i-intermedia-tank620.jpg
Views:	1162
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	209  

Last edited by Jennewt; 22nd May 2007 at 01:59.
Jennewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2007   #2
Ryan
(i_love_necturus)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 7
Comments: 30
Rep: i_love_necturus has given good advice and informationi_love_necturus has given good advice and informationi_love_necturus has given good advice and information
Talking Whoa!

Wow thats amazing! I hope that the larvae make it! Was the fertilization internal or external, most people think external but I don't think it was proven with this species. Whoa!

i_love_necturus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2007   #3
mantighoul
Caudata.org Donor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Comments: 2
Rep: mantighoul has given consistently good advice and informationmantighoul has given consistently good advice and informationmantighoul has given consistently good advice and information

I congratulation them for accomplishing this. Hopefully the larvae survive. Cannot wait to hear more from this.

mantighoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2007   #4
jean raffaelli
(jean)
Herpetologist & Author

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: jean has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)jean has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)jean has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)jean has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)jean has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)jean has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)jean has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)jean has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)jean has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)jean has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)jean has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)
Default Siren intermedia reproduction

Thank you all. I think the reproduction is external, as many eggs are not fertilized (same problem sometimes with Hynobiids). There were about 60 eggs laid in a single piece of java moss, deeply under a stone. There might be more eggs, but I prefer not to look there for the moment. The animals are a pair who lived in the tank for 3 years. The tank has some slow flowing water and is 1,80 m by 1 m. Water level is 0,40 m. Temperature is from 6 to 18C. I saw one of the animals crawling vigorously under the stone, maybe to fertilize eggs, maybe for mating, or just to oxygenate eggs. It is difficult to say. Key criterias seem to be low temperatures, at least for a period, huge quantity of clean water, and big stones or logs deep in the water. This species is the true intermedia from Eastern coastal plain, very different from the nettingi form from more central areas and Gulf of Mexico (no spots, no clear yellowish band along the head, small size, see the photo in my book).

jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2007   #5
Efrem J. Cedillo
(amphibiman)

Nationality:
Rep: amphibiman has started on the right path
Talking I am overjoyed with this success...

I will ask Jesus to help you and the Sirens. You are doing the work of the Lord so I know He will have to help! This is very inspiring. I think I am going to give it a shot. Maybe I will be able to repopulate some areas. I wish you and the Sirens peace.

amphibiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2007   #6
Joseph S
(fishkeeper)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 2
Comments: 4
Rep: fishkeeper is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfishkeeper is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfishkeeper is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfishkeeper is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfishkeeper is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfishkeeper is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfishkeeper is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfishkeeper is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfishkeeper is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

It seems we've been getting a lot of impressive breeding successes lately!

fishkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2007   #7
Peter Lembcke
(onetwentysix)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Rep: onetwentysix goes to 11onetwentysix goes to 11onetwentysix goes to 11onetwentysix goes to 11onetwentysix goes to 11onetwentysix goes to 11onetwentysix goes to 11onetwentysix goes to 11onetwentysix goes to 11onetwentysix goes to 11onetwentysix goes to 11

Man, that's pretty cool! Congrats, Jean!

onetwentysix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2007   #8
monomike

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 3
Comments: 2
Rep: monomike has started on the right path
Default Just congrats like everyone else!

Well done! I look forward to hearing more!

monomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2007   #9
jean raffaelli
(jean)
Herpetologist & Author

Nationality:
Rep: jean has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)jean has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)jean has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)jean has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)jean has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)jean has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)jean has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)jean has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)jean has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)jean has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)jean has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)
Default News from S. intermedia reproduction

Hello all
From the about 60 eggs of S. i. intermedia laid, only a dozen was correctly fertilized and has developed well. From those 10, there are now only 4 larvae left, all in good condition. Each of them has been isolated. So it seems things are not so easy with this genus. Maybe, another right choice would have been to leave the eggs under the stone with the female so it can oxygenate them as I saw a caudal movement twice under the stone. But there are some informations about Siren eating their eggs. Anyway, this is a first step and I hope the pair, still young, will reproduce in the future. And that the 4 larvae will become good adults.

Old 22nd June 2007   #10
Jennewt
Administrator

Nationality:
Rep: Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11

Thanks for the update, Jean.

Jennewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2007   #11
Jacob Bidinger
(Jake)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 10
Rep: Jake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Congratulations! This is a major accomplishment. I wonder if it is the first time they have been bred in captivity, or the first time someone has noticed with how secretive this species is maybe it has happened before, and all of the subsequent offspring just didn't make it.

How long of a cooling period did you give them?

Did you let them get the natural light from a window or do you have an artificial source?

Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2007   #12
Ryan
(i_love_necturus)

Nationality:
Rep: i_love_necturus has given good advice and informationi_love_necturus has given good advice and informationi_love_necturus has given good advice and information
Thumbs up

Yeah, thanks for the update! Good luck with the Fantastic Four! I really hope they make it!!!!

i_love_necturus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2007   #13
jean raffaelli
(jean)
Herpetologist & Author

Nationality:

Thank you all.
Cooling period was long enough (about 4 months at about 7-8C), and they bred when it was warmer (at 12C). It is now 16C in the water. Artificial light.

Old 10th September 2007   #14
Jennewt
Administrator

Nationality:

Jean Raffaelli sent me an additional photo and asked me to post it here.

"This is a young Siren i. intermedia, following their hatching some weeks ago. Size is about 7 cm. See the red spot on the snout and the red gills. This colour disappears when subadults. Photo is by Arnaud Jamin."

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Larve Siren i i.Raffaelli.800.jpg
Views:	786
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	1316  

Old 11th September 2007   #15
Ryan
(i_love_necturus)

Nationality:

Very interesting picture. I've only seen one other picture of a younger siren like this one, very nice. I'm glad to hear they are doing well.

Old 20th December 2007   #16
Joseph S
(fishkeeper)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 2
Comments: 4
Rep: fishkeeper is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfishkeeper is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfishkeeper is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfishkeeper is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfishkeeper is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfishkeeper is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfishkeeper is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfishkeeper is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfishkeeper is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Did he observe any biting behavior at all as other members have seen?

fishkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2007   #17
Cameron Cheri
(Slimy2)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 6
Comments: 1
Rep: Slimy2 has given consistently good advice and informationSlimy2 has given consistently good advice and informationSlimy2 has given consistently good advice and informationSlimy2 has given consistently good advice and information
Thumbs up awesome

I can't wait to see how they turn out. Hope they make it.

Slimy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2008   #18
John
Founder

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 204
Comments: 118
Rep: John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)
Default Re: awesome

Any more news about these, Jean?

Tags
breeding, captive, intermedia, siren