Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Can a small axie join a big axie?

Can a small axie(50mm) join a big axie(100mm)?

• Total voters

axoloco

Reaction score
I have really no idea if I can put my 50mm axolotl to a 100mm axolotl. I would be really glad if someone can help me about this. :confused:

kapo

Reaction score
Two reasons:

1. Any new edition should ALWAYS be quarantined for 30 days to ensure it is healthy and doesn't make the other sick

2. You may find the smaller one gets bitten/munched; as it's much smaller and looks like live food swimming past! You might come home one day to find the other one either tail/head end stuck in the bigger ones mouth and/or dead.

So, it's not really the smaller one will have problems with the bigger one, it's the other way round, and it will become prospective food!

jay_coward

Reaction score
No offence Kapo but i beg to differ. I agree with quarantine cause i thought they ment after quarantine. But i reckon that the 5cm one is bigger and fatter then a normal worm and the big one should'nt eat it. i guess it might bite it mistakenly. but i think you should put it in for a day (after quarantine) and see what happens buddy.

I'd also wait for more replies so you get more opinions then just mine and Kapo's. :D

kapo

Reaction score
Sorry Jay, but I'm basing mine on experience! I have a few friends, that breed axolotls . One of them early on in his first lot of breeding also made that same mistake putting the 5cm-7cm ones in with the 10cm ones, thinking there wouldn't be a problem. the larger ones grabbed the smaller ones by the tail as they swam by and shook them round. One got stuck in the larger ones mouth and had to be pulled out. In total 3 smaller ones died.

jay_coward

Reaction score
Sorry i wasn' t paying attention when i read your post. I thought you ment the whole axie was like a worm but you ment the tail waving. Sorry about that

naymo

Reaction score
I honestly thought that if the axie was at least half the other axies size than it would be okay.
Any less then that and its at mor of a risk.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I introduced my two sets when the large ones were 20 cm and the small ones were about 13 cm. Smaller than that, and they can be mistaken for food.

Axolotls can eat things much larger than you think they can. If they don't successfully eat it, you may still wind up with one (or two) dead axolotls.

tara

Reaction score
large & small axies?

Hi ! my question is can i put two 13cm axies in with a 23cm axie and a 18cm axie. They will all be in a 3 ft tank, with lots of plants and places to hide. Thankyou.

jshadowstalker

Ambystoma Enthusiast
Reaction score
i have just been forced to split a pair that where in a very well planted tank with many hide spots because the bigger animal kept grabbing the smaller one. it was a 45 gallon tank, i figured it was deffinetly enuff room for just the two of them, but i was wrong now the little one is in my sick tank healing up his tail.

jonathan

Reaction score
Too small

I have really no idea if I can put my 50mm axolotl to a 100mm axolotl. I would be really glad if someone can help me about this. :confused:

I have had similar issues with axolotls and other salamanders and newts, notably pseudotriton ruber. I have had limbs eaten, fortunately the victims did not die and regenerated their limbs after they were removed. Any time there is a clear size difference you are taking a risk... that I have learned is not worth taking.
I hope it works out for you

Crysta

Reaction score
Re: Too small

Even axolotls of the same size occasionally can have problems, axolotls are not the best at seeing, which we've established. anyway anything that will fit in their mouth is potential food to them, and you'll be surprised what they can and will fit in their mouth.

blackdog

Reaction score
Re: Too small

If you are smaller than me, i will probably try to eat you.

freya

Reaction score
@Tara : i wouldnt try it cause its like 10 cm difference between the smallest and the biggest.
The small 1 is easily mistaken for food or when he/she will get attacked it will be very much injured so not worth the risk in my opinion.

Axys are very canniballistic and especially in theyre young ages cause of surviving.
I wouldnt try to put axys together when the difference is more than 3 cm after they past the size of 15 cm(give of take). before that i would keep them seperated.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
This thread is almost 4 years old. I'm not sure how it got dug back up, but I'm fairly certain the size difference between these axolotls is no longer a concern.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!