White spot on fire belly newt

dcbrink

Reaction score
Country
United States
My newt has a big white spot on his head that seems to be getting bigger. I have an algae eater in the tank that I've caught sucking on the newt a few times, so I don't know if its from the algae eater sucking on him. It seems like alot of people on this forum have had the white spot problem...does anyone have any suggestions on what I could do to make it go away (or if its just harmless)?

Thanks

Attachments

• DSCN1113b.jpg
    DSCN1113b.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 2,054
My suggestion is to remove the algae eaters. If they're sucking on your newt, it's dangerous.

Yea i had the same problem!
My newt has been recovered but from that time still now i am feeding the algae eater more :p

It's hard to say from the blurriness of the picture, but it looks to be a skin abrasion, possibly caused by the algae eater (probably a pleco). Take the newt out and confirm or not if it is indeed a skin abrasion. If so, read this article and take the appropriate action: http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/sores.shtml

And Kaysie is right- seperate the algae eater from the newt.

Absolutely, please, separate the newt and the algae eater. The white spot looks to me like a sore that certainly could have been caused by this fish. Newts can generally heal from such problems, as long as infection doesn't get the upper hand. It's important to keep the newt cool and clean.

By the way, your newt is a warty newt (Paramesotriton). Some pet shops will call just about ANY newt a firebelly, but yours isn't really.

Good luck, and keep us posted!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back