Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Are there 'Wild' Daphnia in the US?

accidentalfan

Reaction score
I read the Daphnia article, and it said they are native to Europe, but are they found all over the world?
The only dumb question is the one that isn't asked,.......right? lol
Thanks guys.

invertkurt

Reaction score
Yes, there are probably hundreds of species all over the globe. Here in Ohio, I have a temporary wetland in my yard and every year it is full of thousands of daphnia. Your best place to look is in the sunlight in waterways and wetlands that are fish-free. They congregate in the sunshine to feed on things like algae.

accidentalfan

Reaction score
Thanks. I went to take a look in some of the high mountain ranges next to my house. I found a lot! Most are huge! I'm thinking they might be the Magna? Unfortunately, I ended up with some big huge nasty looking bugs too. Hate to get bit by those beasts! I got rid of what looked to be the worst ones before leaving the marsh, but still have some of what I'm guessing are dragon fly larva to dispose of.
I almost hope I find another one of those scary bugs so you experts can tell me what they are. Eeew. I feel so girlie, but they looked like scorpions of the marsh lands.
Thanks a lot.

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
The thing with Daphnia is that they have ephippia (resting eggs) as part of their life cycle. These resist desication and can be viable for decades. They are also very small and light. It's quite possible for ducks or other animals, or even the wind, to carry them to other habitats. Also the fact that pond plants and freshwater animals go around the world, they often carry our little friends with them. I am quite sure Daphnia magna exists throughout the northern hemisphere, either through deliberate and accidental introduction, or being carried by migratory birds. So you might well be seeing magna!

coendeurloo

Reaction score
It would be nice if these eggs could be harvested and "canned" just like artemia, and hatched at home. But this is just wishful thinking right?

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
No, it's quite feasible. I have done this myself - I have dry Daphnia pulex ephippia from one of my old cultures stored in my home in Ireland should I ever want to start a culture again.

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
I should also add, some biological supply companies sell ephippia rather than live animals - ephippia are supposedly guaranteed disease free.

coendeurloo

Reaction score
That is interesting (though off-topic, sorry 'bout that), do you happen to know any shops that do overseas shipping? I know a lot of people would be interested.

I can't seem to find any wild Daphnia here, could it be that the water here contains too much salt for them to thrive, since I live pretty much next to the North Sea?

peterj

Reaction score
Sorry if this is getting off the threads topic. John, I was wondering if you could point me to instructions about harvesting the ephippia or give us some tips. I've had daphnia going for ages and wasn't aware they could be harvested this way.

Thanks heaps,

Peter

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Regarding who sells them, I know Blades Biological in the UK used to sell them. They would probably supply to people in the EU, if they still sell them.

Peter - the mulch that builds up at the bottom of daphnia tanks usually has ephippia in it, particularly if you let the colony crash. Then just pour off the water, put the mud somewhere it can dry (not in direct sunlight). I usually spread it in a thin layer on an aquarium net or something and then keep the net in a plastic bag after the mud dries on it (make sure there can't be any condensation if you keep it in a bag). They last for years (or at least, some still hatch after several years).

Good luck.

coendeurloo

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip John, I mailed Blades Biological, they do have dried daphnia eggs. This could be ideal for hatchlings!

accidentalfan

Reaction score
Off topic,maybe, but really interesting!
I let one of my cultures crash (Oops), and not too long after, I found I had a healthy supply of Dahpnia Pulex swimming around like nothing ever happened. Thank you epheppia!
I doubt they will send any to me here in the US, but I'm going to try.
Thanks a bunch!

invertkurt

Reaction score
Most organisms that inhabit temporary wetlands (vernal pools) have a resting stage, usually as eggs. Some of my favorites are those "cyclops" that they sell for little kids... fairy shrimp and tadpole shrimp that show up when you rehydrate them.

If you need to start a culture and have trouble finding them I recommend just checking any and all standing water without fish in it. The other option if you can't find the daphnia but if you know where large water bodies were, you could harvest some of the leaves and dirt and try to rehydrate everyone.

accidentalfan

Reaction score
I found some ephippia in my bucket!

Actually I found loads of it. I'm finding tons of daphnia pulex (I believe..), but as it turns out, I'm awful at caring for it.
I'm guessing I'm over feeding it because my water is very green and I can't see the bottom. I decided to look in another bucket, and SUPRIZE! ephippia. Only a few daphnia left with tons of cyclops.
YAY! I should start an ephippia farm, since I'm apparently not a very good daphnia mom. Just call me the daphnia destroyer.
Oh!, but the cyclops love me. I have to harvest them often. Works out though, since my hatchlings love them.
I put the ephippia in a bucket just to be sure of what I was seeing, and poof a couple days later....
daphnia.
Yay again, I say with a gleeful giggle.
So there's my story.
Thank you all for your help. I have enjoyed this thread a lot.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I know that daphnia will produce ephippia when it's cool, so maybe try increasing the temperature of your farm a little?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!