Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

What filter?

noctifer

Reaction score
I don't know anything about aquaria! I went to the petstore today and looked at filters (don't have axies yet) and was completely mystified. What filter should I use? I've heard that a bubble-driven filter is bet because it doesn't put out heat, what does this mean? I didn't see a filter that said anything about bubbles...I also don't know how I get a screen lid on a tank instead of a hood, do I have to make it or something? Where would a light go, then? And will a gravel vacuum work on sand...? Aquaria have always scared me, I don't know anything about them at all and they intimidate me, lol. But I'm determined to have axolotls, so I'm going to learn.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
For photos of various filters, see:
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/filters.shtml
Unfortunately, for axolotls, the bubble-driven filters (sponge filters or box/corner filters) are not effective enough. The most common types of filters for axies are the waterfall type, and the canister filter.

What size tank are you thinking of getting? Bigger is better, of course. This choice will dictate some of your other choices. You might think it would be less intimidating to start with a small tank, but actually it's harder to keep water quality in a small tank, so a larger one is better, even for beginners.

Yes, a gravel vacuum will work with sand, although the flow rate may need to be slowed down a bit.

Regarding the screen lid, these are sold in pet shops (check the reptile department). This kind of lid would not work with a waterfall filter at all. It could work with a canister filter and light, but only if you can find a hinged screen lid. I can post a photo of how this works, if you are still feeling clueless. For axolotls, most people do end up using a conventional plastic "hood" lid because of the complications that you have already realized.

noctifer

Reaction score
I was thinking of getting a 20 gallon tank with two axies and furnishings, but if it's easier to keep a larger tank...do they make 30 gallon tanks? I don't recall ever seeing one...Is it possible to custom make tanks? I really don't need one so tall, when if it were shorter a 20 would probably be fine...
I guess maybe a screen lid isn't do-able, I definitely want live plants (it seems like in axie blogs I've read they enjoy them, even if they destroy them) so I'll want light, and I think the waterfall (with re-directed spray) filter would be best for me, of the two, unless one is more heat-efficient than the other. I can't have a completely open tank, I have cats, heh. I guess I can get an aquarium fan and that should do the cooling that a screen-lid would do...I live in the south of the US, so it gets hot, but I run the A/C at about 70 consistently, dropping to sixty at night, I just worry about cooling them in the day.

kapo

Reaction score
It's better to have a longer tank rather than higher, as axolotls use floor space rather than go up and down a column type aquarium, which I have unfortunately seen some people put their axolotls in at work and other places.

We got our tanks made by a local glazier, as it's cheaper than buying tanks sold in the aquarium/petshops. Ours were made with removeable glass lids, but you could fashion your own lid to fit around your items.

Husband fashioned a bamboo type screen lids with drop down blinds that can be rolled up completely to show the tank or individually in partial sections, and fashioned holes big enough for silicon and other filter tubes etc to go into the tank, but not allow our cats to get to them.

I've had no luck with live plants but have several plastic floating ones, which they still manage to prop themselves in and under.

noctifer

Reaction score
Yeah, I've been looking for an aquarium with less height and more width, but I'm only seeing the regular kinds. I'm trying to find out if there's an aquarium store or a glazier in town, but so far, no luck. Thanks for your suggestions, though, I appreciate it very much :D

P

purkle

Ah i have similar question. We have a the smallest fluval filter (the submersival one-sucks in dirt blows out water/air) We put the thermometre in front of itwhich cuts down the curent but i saw that you can get spray bars. Are spray bars a better idea where i could jion it to where the water it pumped out OR would this make the current to strong.

thanks

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Noctifer, any good pet shop should have a variety of tanks, and if they don't have one in stock, they could probably order you one. Call around and see who has what. A 30 gallon tank should cost you about $40 brand new. Another GREAT source for aquariums is local flea markets and yard sales.

Purkle, some filters aren't compatible with spray bars, but you can create a baffle using pretty much anything. I had one made of legos once. Another member made one out of a large medicine bottle with lots of holes drilled into it.

P

purkle

Noctifer, any good pet shop should have a variety of tanks, and if they don't have one in stock, they could probably order you one. Call around and see who has what. A 30 gallon tank should cost you about $40 brand new. Another GREAT source for aquariums is local flea markets and yard sales.

Purkle, some filters aren't compatible with spray bars, but you can create a baffle using pretty much anything. I had one made of legos once. Another member made one out of a large medicine bottle with lots of holes drilled into it.

Sorry, whats a baffle? A spray bar would work as long as you can connect tubing to the flow of the filter i believe? Im not the greatest with these things just curious as everyone says a low air flow is best

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
You want your filter to create as little flow in the water as possible. That's why a spraybar is often used, as it distributes the flow of water over a large area, rather than concentrating it from one nozzle.

A baffle is just a device that diffuses the flow of water.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1