Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

My brother just brought home a poison arrow frog

diamondlittle

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,
I just got home from vacation today to find that my brother has bought a poison arrow frog. He says that he has done his research, but I am looking for any advice on keeping these creatures. I was reading about them online (it is a blue frog, maybe an azureus?), and many sites have said that they can be fatal to humans. My brother thinks that because it was raised in captivity, it is not poisonous. I'm not sure what is correct, and any advice/tips would be hugely appreciated. Thanks!!

Jessie

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Jessie,

I think you would be wise to visit some dedicated dendrobatid websites for tips and advice. For the US I would recommend http://www.dendroboard.com/ which has care sheets and a forum for just this sort of question :cool:.

It’s apparently true that captive bred dart frogs are less toxic than their wild counterparts. It’s thought that their diet in the wild contributes to their toxicity. Replicating the wild diet in captivity is near impossible. That said I really wouldn’t want to test any theories about the toxicity of captive frogs on myself…. :eek:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1