Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Finally.... My Underwater Aquariums/terrariums/vivariums Masterpiece!

ravenous

Reaction score
For those (I think two) who have seen that I was going to build one of these the time has finally come to unveil! It has been cycling for 3 weeks and I was waiting for everything to be established.

Oh and Yea I know, the title is a little pretentious and I know others can/have/will do better but I'm proud of the project I did and I just wanted to get your attention. :eek:

Its a little pic heavy but I wanted to get all angles for everyone. Heres the skinny:

10 Gallon
15 Watt 9325K Fluorescent
Tetra Whisper Filter

Substrate consists of bottom initial layer - Coco Fiber (1/2 inch)
Small loose generic gravel (1/2 inch)
Top layer - Playsand (2 inch)

Plants are: Numerous Java Fern
1 Lutea
2 Wendtii
1 Compacta
1 Echinodorus (shop couldnt tell me what kind, they lost the tag but said they sell cheap in pot, $2)
4 fake plants

Animals: none yet but has 2 ghost shrimp and a few snails.

Notes: There are 5 hidden caves carved into the background (2 left, 2 right, 1 under filter) and as you can see a top shelf or island thats 'bowl' shaped and has sand and java. This will be used as a feeding dish.

How I did it: Bought a can of 'Great Stuff' and spread that as the background. Carved it into shape with caves. Housed the filter in styrofoam (sic?) and covered that. Covered everything in black silicone and immidiatley applied dried coco fiber everywhere.

I am open to any suggestions on maintanence or questions. I may be forgetting to post stuff as this is pretty darn long already so....to be continued

* A special thank you goes out to Jennewt and tomlee (great tips!)

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
That's quite an impressive piece of work! Certainly way beyond any of the projects I've undertaken.

Where did you buy the black silicone? I've seen it at mail-order places only.

dane_zu

Reaction score
thats really awesome, i like how you encorperated the filter into the background

i accidentaly bought some black silicone from my local pet store(pet world) didnt know they had more then one color

ravenous

Reaction score
Thanks peeps!

I got the black silicone at a place called Lowe's. Is basically the same as a Home Depot.

Jenn, feel free to add the main pic to the Aquatic setup suggestions Article :D ;)

Bleed the freak

Reaction score
Nice looking tank! Yours and Tom's success with the coco fiber background makes me want to try that for my own tank.

Also any plans yet what you are going to put to live in there?

Abrahm

Reaction score
Where did you buy the black silicone? I've seen it at mail-order places only.

I found black silicone at Home Depot also. It must not be that rare.

Ravenous, have you kept java fern like that before? I was told that the rhizomes (root like structures) had to be exposed to the water column for them to absorb nutrients hence they do best affixed to driftwood or rocks. I keep all mine on driftwood and love how it looks.

tomthlee

Reaction score
Super nice tank! It looks a lot bigger than ten gallons. I'm glad that I could help you out. Abrahm is right about the java fern - it does a lot better when the roots are exposed underwater. I tied my main java fern to a rock and it has sent out a few daughter plants. Fishing line works great for this. Just make sure you don't tie it too tight (you don't want to damage the roots).

You're going to have some happy caudates! Keep us updated.

Zapher

Reaction score
Thats a really nice setup. I love how you have the feeding dish you carved out, i have never thought of doing something like that. Ive been thinking a lot about using great stuff/black silicone/coco fiber for the tank i am designing right now but wasn't sure how it would hold up under water as i have only ever seen it used in a couple inches of water. But thanks to you now i have renewed confidence! :D

ravenous

Reaction score
I put 3 morphed Alpestris in there last week and theyre doing great! I will add 3 more as soon as theyre morphed. I already had a tank for them but I had the extra time and expenses and wanted to tackle a project like this. Besides theyre taking so damn long to morph, I thought why not?

Java Fern. If you look closely you can see that its not buried. The one on the right was just stems basically and I have a weight around them to hold them down. The one in the center has ALOT of the roots exposed. The ones in the dish are held there with flat river stones. So theyre not buried, but they are in crater like holes to appear that way and have some sort of base. Is this okay though? I didnt want to have to attach them to something.

Everything seems to be holding up great underwater. Though the Great Stuff tightens and shrinks a bit to alot so get ready for that!

ravenous

Reaction score
Heres 2 at home. Thought a new pic would be cool. Once I have them all in, I'll make a new thread or something....

ravenous

Reaction score
Actually I used your styrofoam thechnique to house the filter and make the 'feeding dish' Burning it really helped harden it and make it stronger and more compact. That was a great tip, you gave!

richierich

Ambystoma Enthusiast
Reaction score
My java fern is rooted right into the substrate and there is only a very small amount of roots above the gravel. The plant was acquired about 8 months ago and is doing fine. I don't think that the rhizomes need to be exposed.

falconlb45

Reaction score
awesome setup!
I've always wondered, how long does the coco fiber last submerged?

ravenous

Reaction score
Thanks. So far its lasted 7 months and looks freshly applied. Itll get algae on it but its easily removed with a baster.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1