Java Moss Vs Riccia Fluitans

Cizza

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Ciaran Ashton
I use both java moss and riccia in my current tank set up but im using java on floor as kinda lawn effect but the riccia looks alot nicer in my eyes and im woundering if it would be a good idea to kinda tie it down and try to get it to make a lush lawn effect what do you guys think?

Ciz

Java moss is usually a far superior choice to Riccia due to the differences in light requirements. I may be wrong, but I believe that Riccia requires a considerable amount of light to prosper. I know that Java moss on the other hand flourishes in low light environments which are far less stressful to newts.

Riccia naturally floats, so when it is submersed it usually needs extra light and extra CO2. I'd agree with Abrahm, go with the Java moss. You can always trim it to keep it tidy.

If you plan on keepings newts/salamanders with a Riccia lawn, be prepared for it to be ripped out. Riccia grows well as a floating plant, but it needs to be tied down and re tied down for a lawn effect especially when it is so easy for newts/axolotls to tear up. Most lush Riccia lawns are done with CO2 injections and fertilizers, I would not do that in an amphibian tank. Riccia does better in more light but it can be done in medium light.
There is a whole website dedicated to aquatic mosses(http://www.aquamoss.net/), but all need to be trained (tied down) initially until they grab a hold of something.

A personal favourite of mine is Fissidens. There are more mosses that grown more beautiful than Java moss. There are a lot of aquatic mosses one can also find in local waterways, but those may have lots of string algae mixed in and wild nasties. Never take plants from protected waterways.

I have personally grown and have personal experience with all plants I have mentioned.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back