Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axie's in Tubs?

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
They could be kept this way. Keeping each individual in its own tub would certainly prevent them from injuring each other, or breeding when you don't want them to. However, axolotls are big waste-producers, so the tubs would need lots of water changes and/or filtration.

Whether or not the plastic might harm them... there's a pretty good discussion of this on the thread you linked to. My personal opinion is that it's unlikely to harm them, but the jury's still out. If it had any effect, it would be a long-term effect, it certainly wouldn't kill them outright. I raised some juveniles in plastic tubs and they turned out just fine.

Daniel

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I raised some juveniles in such tubs, too and encountered no problems. They should carry a food safe - sign and so they should not emit any harmful substances.
As for adults - in my opinion these tubs are too small for an everlasting husbandry. :(

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
I think this one is down to what you want and expect from pet keeping. I personally like to see my 'pets ' as part of my family scenario. ( various family members suspect my wanting to have axolotls is part of me wanting to nurture something..children growing up etc....I wanted axolotls because they are amazing creatures.) I actually really like the set up Mark has ,and when time and space allows I'd love to do something similar , it lets you extend your interests with out a huge impact on space.

philbaker76

Reaction score
I agree with Bellabelloo; I keep my Axolotls as pets (my set-up is as http://www.axolotl.org/housing.htm) ~ Mark has a great set-up; most hobbyists keep exotic pets like this.

As I haven't had many hatch from my last batch - I've been keeping the hatchlings in Chinese food containers :)

The breeder we got our Axolotls from; keeps them and rears them exactly as Mark's set-up with great success.

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It really comes down to personal preference. Axolotls are aquatic and can be permanently “on show” in a glass aquarium. I keep large aquatic newts such as Pleurodeles in glass aquaria for this reason. You could keep them in plastic tubs, even long-term if the size was right, although if you were keeping them as pets I can’t really see why you’d want to. Whilst I do consider my animals as pets many are semi-aquatic, nocturnal and spend the majority of their time hiding under stones or logs. Glass aquaria is wasted on an animal that hides almost permanently. There are pros and cons with both types of housing. I don’t think size is a con for plastic tubs as they come in all shapes and sizes, in fact more so than aquaria.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1