Paramesotriton deloustali subadult

juraj

Reaction score
Country
Slovak Republic
Three years old subadult that I obtaibed as a small morph from Germany. It`s 12 cm long and fully aquatic. Another four specimens from that batch are still terrestrial.

Attachments

• P8294236_1.jpg
    P8294236_1.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 1,392
  • P82942331_1.jpg
    P82942331_1.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 487
Beautiful! It's too bad it didn't get more carotene early in life: yellow belly. I suspect that the diet during the larval period is critical to red color.

I obtained my first hongkongs as yellow bellied morphs too but they turned to orange after years. These ones probably will not. Causing differences in carotene deposition between species ? I`m not very interested in belly coloration anyway ;)

Interesting. I think different species have a different "critical period" for when the environmental effect on their color is determined. Yours are lovely, regardless.

I want them I want them I want them I want them
maybe there will be some in the UK after people get back from Hamm...
Well it was actually hongkongensis I wanted coz they tolerate higher temps but these look amazing too...

Hi Jen,
after he has been spending some time in the water taking daphnia and gamma diet his belly is getting visibly darker. Compare with another one which has been aquatic for much shorter time.

Attachments

• PC134852_1.jpg
    PC134852_1.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 607
  • PC134853_1.jpg
    PC134853_1.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 350
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back