Filter Systems

CarlNJen

Reaction score
Country
England
Display Name
Carl & Jennifer
Good afternoon everyone :rolleyes:

As im sure a few of you already know Im in the process of getting a tank setup for a small group of Alpine Newts I will be getting shortly

I've spend the best part of a month doing some research and asking questions here but I just wanted a bit of advice regarding filtration systems.

From the info in Caudata culture there are a few different methods of filtering the tank, but it expresses the issue that any current in the water may stress the Newts.

I've looked in the pet stores for appropriate filters, but from many awful stories I've hard in this community already, I have discounted any advice I got from the store keepers.

Does anyone have the name/brand of any paticular filters you use that work well for yourselves? - any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Im placing an order for a custom tank shortly and it will be 36" long, 18" wide and 18" tall, containing a semi aquatic setup, 1/3 Land, 2/3 water. The water level Im thinking will be about 8-10" high in the tank.

Many thanks in advance!

Carl

I have had good results with both internal power filters like a fluval1, and with using air pumps and a corner or box filter.
At present my larger newts have fluvals in their tanks, and the smaller more fragile newts have corner or box filters.

Corner or box filters are wonderful as they can be fitted with activated carbon or can be just relied upon to provide biological filtration. I also am very fond of sponge filters which provide biological filtration which I couple with regular weekly water changes.

Internal power filters are also pretty decent. They can heat the water and some of them cannot have their output changed so it is important to look for a low wattage adjustable flow filter. I have used the Duetto line of filters in the past with some success. These have adjustable flow rates and only use a few watts of power (3W? I don't remember.) Smaller newts may be trapped in filter intakes so some care should be taken in filter placement.

You will want to stay away from hang on back type filters as these will provide too many areas for your newts to escape. It is nearly impossible to seal up one of these filters with the lid.

Thankyou both the for advice,

It looks like the corner box sounds like the better option here :)
You say they can be fitted with activated carbon? what is so special about that?

Any further advice would be greatly appreciated! The more opinions the better!

Carl

I've used all the previously mentioned filters with varying degrees of success. However, the best filter i have seems to be the ZooMed 501 cannister filter. The output flow is directed through a tube that has a bunch of small holes. If you angle the holes toward the side of the tank, very little flow is created. At $50 in some stores it is a bit pricey... but I love it for a single tank filtration system. Good luck!!

Looked up the ZooMed 501. Looks like a nice peice of kit, but it states its an external filter? That is a pitty as I dont want to leave any chance that the newts could escape...

Shame they dont make ones like this that are internal instead :(

Travis,

What size tank are you using the 501 on? I started using one on a 30g tank with my O.vittatus, but switched to a fluval 3+ because I wanted to put a top on the tank, I only had to notch the top lexan once for the power cord. Other than that, it seemed like a nice filter. For my alpestris, I use undergravels which have worked fine for me, though they are often frowned on. As I move up in tank sizes (thanks to Petco's $ a gallon sale) I will be looking for other filtration options too...

Brian

oh, a random thought/question... do keyboards in Europe have the appropriate monetary sign in the shift4 key position or the dollar sign? Just wondering...

lol - shift 4 does give the $ sign

Are these Fluval filters any good?

I like them. I use a fluval 3+ in my 30g's with bigger Triturus (carnifex, karelini and O. vittatus) and even the larvae seem to deal with it. I haven't checked the media yet for the poorer swimmers, but I've seen some pretty small ones swimming near it and they seem to do okay. So far no adults got stuck, but again they're pretty big. The flow is adjustable, but even set weak it does create a stronger current than the 501 did. I bounce the flow off the sides of the tank and the resin driftwood pieces to help minimize it's impact. They do come with a hose adaptor for the output, so you could plumb in a diffuser bar ala the 501 if you wanted...

Brian, I use the ZooMed 501 on my 20 gallon. I started using it on a ten gallon and it was perfect. I have not had any escapee's and it cleans the tank just fine. My girlfriend uses two on her 55 gallon for her turtle. I am planning to build a structure with plastic tubs and will be using either a larger cannister filter or just an airstone with daily water changes. Not quite sure on that just yet. With the crazy heat at my house i have had my icemaker working overtime and a 6 bucket rotation of water dechlorinating for the last two months. So, that has been my real project lately. The things we do for our animal companions!!

That's cool Travis. I like the filter, and if I would expend just a little more effort, I'm sure a couple extra notches in the top would be easy enough. I kept the filter and will look to get it back to work shortly. How often do you have to clean it? I didn't have mine hooked up long enough for it to be a factor...

I use 3 of the ZooMed 501 filters. I have the tubing going through holes cut to size in the (hinged or flexible) screen lids. No escape risk. What kind of lid does your setup have?

Another type of filter recently introduced that I like is the small internal waterfall filter:
http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/group/10608/product.web
I just bought one like this, but haven't used it yet.

And there has also been a new filter similar to the Zoomed being introduced:
http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/group/23234/product.web

One problem with the ZooMed 501 is that it is supplied with short tubes (only long enough for a 12" tall tank). I think this new similar one may have longer tubes.

Every now and again the tubing will get gunked up with stuff and once it gets to a certain point i will use a tube brush to clear the tubes. The filter media I try to change about every 4 to six months. I will also lightly rinse the large foam sponge to get what could potentially cause blockages, but not enough to ruin the beneficial bacteria.

The waterfall filter looks like a good option! - and I was expecting a horrible price when I clicked it but I was actually quite suprised! - Thanks Jennewt!

I believe the tank will be coming with a plastic top with small grated holes...should be able to safely cut a hole in that and make sure it fits okay to avoid escape..

Thank you all for your great advice and different opinions! :)

Carl

Just to offer a counterpoint I used to have and use a Whisper 10i, the internal water fall filter that Jen mentioned. I personally thought it was a very poor filter that allowed a lot of bypass and had extremely small filtration surfaces. The prepackaged mechanical filter sponge is less than a quarter inch thick. The volume of carbon in each filter bag is also minuscule. Plus, all that empty space allowed my newts to climb into the actual filter, which while not problematic because of an exposure to danger, nearly caused me a few heart attacks as I looked desperately for my Pachytriton.

I think you could fit a larger sponge and carbon bag into this filter by stacking them like a canister and thus eliminate the space for newts to crawl into. I'm not sure about this though since I've since given away both my Whisper 10i.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back