axolotl missing

saladfingers

Reaction score
Country
Australia
my axolotle is in the tank, we can not figure out if he has escaped ( which seems highly doubtful) or my other one has eaten him, the size difference between them doesnt seem vast enough that she could swallow him.
opinions?
if he has got out (there is no water trail and we cant find him) how likely is out that he has metamorphasised? if he is dead how long should it take for him to smell or for the body to breakdown?

and how could we tell if the other one has eaten him

The other one would probably be noticeably fatter after such a meal. Does the tank have a lid over it? Axolotls can sometimes leap out, but they aren't known to climb. The water trail may have dried up before you discovered it missing.

Sorry:(

thanks, believe it or not we found him he was in the filter area, after emptying the whole tank into the bath we got him out. he seems ok, we have covered the area now

Re: acolotl missing

Lol your questions were awsome. Seems you have a Houdini on your hands.:D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back