Plant Ids

eldaldo

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Patrick
I have been collecting plants for a few years now, and there are still some that I have not found out what they are. Now that I have a camera, I can take pictures and ask other people. What kind of deal are These!?

The first one is the plant to the left. Not the elodea or the four legged plant whose portrait would be very nice were it not for my tank being so old and scratched, haha.

Attachments

• DSCN0103.JPG
    DSCN0103.JPG
    326.6 KB · Views: 333
  • DSCN0097.JPG
    DSCN0097.JPG
    289.4 KB · Views: 257
  • DSCN0095.JPG
    DSCN0095.JPG
    299.6 KB · Views: 253
The first looks like Java fern - sorry, I don't have the Latin name, but google "java fern" and see if it matches the other photos you pull up. I agree with Peter's ID of the other two.

Yeah, Thats what I origianally thought too, but the only reason that I don't think it is java fern is that it has actual roots instead of that rhizome (of course you can't see that from the picture). I have also been growing it in perfect conditions for java fern for almost a year now and it has not grown at all, and in fact the smallest leaves appear to be dying off.

Patrick, I wonder if the first one could be some sort of Cryptocoryne? It doesn't look quite right for Java fern - the reddish tint to the leaves seems atypical, and they look a bit smooth. But I'm no expert on tropical aquatics. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cryptocoryne

Tristan

Right, IMHO it must be sword plant (Echinodorus).
You can see the roots of aquatic plants, swords has white and ferns has brown and more "hairy" roots.

Sorry for my bad language.

sorry my first post was so short, i had to go, but the reson i think it's a wavey-edged swordplant is cause i have one and it looks like it

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back