Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

please help me ?! :'(

mudvayne42

Reaction score
tonight i went upstairs to check on my axie and he was floating he was about 2 inches of the floor and the tip of his tail was just about touching the substraight and he did a massive poo and he sank a little and then he blew a bubble out of his mouth and he sank right down but after about a minute he started floating again about 2 inches like 5 minutes before and his bit were his poo came out dont no the scientific name well it is really swollen and really fat he doesnt look very bloated himself just looks a little plump i havent been feeding him anything different just frozen beefheart and frozen bloodworm which is what i have been feeding him on since i got him with no problems and i would put him in the fridge but the lowest it will go is 5 C is this to low somebody please help me i am in so much need i hope it is nothing i am hopefully just panicing but i need help and this is the first place i came and hopefully the last please help me thank you so much

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
Don't panic! Firstly have you removed the pooh? Is he still floating? and what do you have on the tank floor? . It sounds to me ( and I am still a bit of a novice ..and i have never seen an axy pooh...just the after effects!!) like you may have just caught him in the act.

mudvayne42

Reaction score
you are a life saver you have made mee feel so much better i removed the poo as soon as i saw him do it he has stopped floating he just looks a little bit floaty like he is walking on his toes not his feet but i just hope it is only somthing as stopid as a poo thank you so much :D

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
Thats ok..I spend too much time worrying wether the axolotls and axolittles ( their offspring) are all ok, and as for the kids..well its never ending!!!. See how he is later.

mudvayne42

Reaction score
will do i will keep you posted incase anything bad happens but thank you so much :) i will be keeping a very close eye on him tonight thank you again :D

Neurus

Reaction score
Hi there, i went through a similar worry myself. This sounds like you did just catch the axolotl having a poo. Their tails usually lift up just before and they may look like they are tilting for a while. Afterwards they go back down, they may float a bit if they have a bit of wind but also dont worry as axolotls like to float as well. Mine tend to go up to the surface every now and then and get a mouth full of air so they can float around for a bit and then they let it go and sink to the bottom a bit. One of my axolotls tends to just raise her tail every now and then just for the hell of it, she has been doing that for 9 months

mudvayne42

Reaction score
lol thanks :D he is doing it again now but nothing to worry about :p phew

mudvayne42

Reaction score
he is alright he seems happy he is eating fine but he is standing on his back legs is this normal he stands on his back legs and stairs out the tank into my bedroom lol

Neurus

Reaction score
Trust me Axolotls as pets make it their sole duty to make you worry sick about them, one of mine didnt eat for 9 and a half weeks one time. they stand on their back legs to usually have a nosey at the surface. Sometimes they will jump around on their back legs too

mudvayne42

Reaction score
ye lol the other day mine was jumping around like he thought he was a frog or somthing lol :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!