Axie not eating

avalon_princess

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Emma C
So I've been worrying bout Morpheus, and since Pendragon appeared healthy and I'd seen him eating before, I assumed he was still eating. I'd drop food into his food bowl and 10 minutes later he'd be over there and the food was gone. When I cleaned his tank out today I found all the bloodworms I'd been feeding, they'd somehow gotten into a cave and were all clumped together. Pendragon looks really thin and I've tried him with all the foods I can think of and although he looks interested, he just won't eat it.

Anyone got any suggestions?

how big is he?
how often are you feeding and how much?
what are you feeding, live or frozen.?
have you checked water parameters and temp?
if he is 20cm+ he is adult and therefore 2 weekly feeds should suffice.
live food might be more interesting like a nice earth worm.
water temp plays a big part in how they are as the warmer the weather the quicker food deteriates, also the more they think they want as they are more active.
hope this might have helped some if not im sure others will offer their ideas.

Last edited:
Barely 15 cm long, I've tried him with pellets, bloodworms (live, frozen and freeze dried) Freeze dried whole shrimp, brine shrimp and earthworms. Temp has been sitting steady at 22 degrees for the past week, water parameters are fine (0 ammonia, 0 nitrite 10 nitrate)

Hmmm just noticed another clump of bloodworm in the tank, this time pretty deteriorated, I could've sworn I got it all out yesterday, and I only offered a small pinch today, could he be regurgitating food?

he is a juvenille then, i would leave him for a couple of days and then try some thing different an earth worm would most likely stimulate him more, feeding every other day would be fine at his size as well.

He hasn't eaten in over a week....

Hmm I just got him to take an earthworm, seems to be having trouble swallowing it though, he gets it all in his mouth then he'll do the jerky thing to swallow it and it's tail will stick back out. Hmm he just spat the tail out, looks like he ate most of the worm, now I just hope it stays that way, as the poor guy is starting to look rather thin.

Hi Emma a week is ok for an axie to go without food. I would try some diet changes and also check your water parameters and temp.

Good Luck

i would try to lower tank temp as well if i were you as any uneaten food deteriates very quickly in warm water.
just remove what he doesnt eat straight away and keep an eye for waste.
hope all goes well.
im sure when the rest of the world wakes up others will offer more advice lol.

try cutting up the worm or finding a smaller one, i feed mine tiny ones at the moment as she is still a baby

I still can't get him to eat enough, finding worms is almost impossible, and every time I buy some their 5mm long scrawny things that are useless to feed.

He is soooo thin, his body is like a third of the width of his head, and I'm starting to get really worried, I'm trying bloodworm again today and I'm praying he'll take some.

Morpheus that axie I bought ill is fine, and theres nothing wrong with the food as Morpheus chows down on it, he loves it, it's just Pendragon who won't eat.

Uuuuh how bad are crickets for axies? As since I didn't ahve anything else Mum suggested offering some live crickets, we feed them to the lizards, and boy did Pendragon get excited, their a touch to big for him, so it took a few goes to get it down, but he's got a nice meaty cricket in him now.

If it's okay to keep feeding crickets, I'll pick up a box of more suitably sized crickets when we're at the shops tomorrow, since he seemed to enjoy his cricket.

worms in australia

:eek:
Emma
Just a quick trick
get old tye(car) or anything round with high sides
Place in cool part of garden
place all scraps mum has in kitchen but not meat
cover with wet newspaper
in 1 to 2 days uncover and you will have a heaps of worms
remember dont place where you have had pest control or fertilizer.
my son did this and in two days had over 30 worms
being in australia keep worm patch in shade damp at all times.
Just a note for anyone that wants live food

Regards catherine selfridge/catherinepet1:eek:

We've got 3 compost heaps (I live on a farm) which are generally teaming with worms, but with the hot weather they've gone deeper then I can get to, theres no cool places in the garden at the mo, LOL dontcha just love summer?

Hmmm, he ate another cricket today.

Just one question, since he ate the first cricket he's been spending time floating around the top, he can still swim down when he wants to, he seems to prefer floating though, is this bad? Mum thinks it's because the crickets are quite large and floating means he can use his lungs to get more air....

Uuuh, okay am really starting to freak now, Pendragons SKIN is coming off-
edit1resize-1.jpg

edit2resize-2.jpg

It doesn't look anything like parasites, I swear it's his skin, his water parameters are fine (o ammonia, 0 nitrite, 10 nitrate) Ph is 7. Granted we've had a few warm days but the temp has never gone past 24, generally its around 20-22. The only time he's had ammonia since I got him, was the first day when I accidentally tipped too many pellets in his tank, ammonia only spiked to 0.05 and as soon as I realized it was cleaned up, but that was at least two weeks ago.

This only started tonight, please HELLLPPP!!!!

he might just be shedding, my leucistic went on a growth spurt and i ended up with with what looked like a large sausage skin in the tank.
just keep an eye on him to make sure he isnt stressing,
as for the floating he might just need to poo, as long as he is able to get down if he wishes he should be fine,

Argh his gills and dorsal fin have started shrinking now, what am I doing wrong? I've even ordered a whole new set of test kits in case mine aren't testing the water correctly, they should arrive on Monday. We have better water then most people, as living so far out we don't have access to city water, just rainwater, which is what's used for everything. His tank has some extra large pebbles that are bigger then his head and blue and purple sand, it did have hideouts which have been removed so I can monitor food, instead the tanks been covered with black cloth to make it dark.

I wouldn't say the tank has much oxygen in it as I ended up turning his filter off because he was stressed by the current, I need to find something new to use.

he neeeds a filter in with him as the water will be fouling even though you are removing waste when you see it,try to put something infront of the filter i.e plants , get a spray bar, or just direct the flow to the sides this should help cut i down.
the shrinking of gill ect is a sign of poor water conditions.
i would either remove him and put him in a container with dechlorinated water or start doing water changes daily of 20/30%.
but you must have a filter in there, the only other option is total water changes everyday.

I'm doing daily 75% water changes and keeping an eye on water parameters, to ensure the water quality remains without a filter. The filter had a spray bar but he was still getting blown around and his gills were all pointing forward, it was the smallest filter i could find, am about to try an air driven filter instead.

As soon as I find as filter that he's happy with I'll use it, until then I don't really have any other option.

this was in the tank just now, you can see both crickets in it, did he regurgitate it? or is this poop? gross whatever it is
Pendragon011resize.jpg

How badly would Pendragon react to me redoing his tank? I want to remove all the sand and lower the water level so i can do full clean outs every day...

If the crickets are big their shell in to had for them to digest. Mine had the same problem when I trayed to feed crickets. In stead of redoing his tank ( I think that would just cause him more stress) Try floating/hanging fake plants from the spry bar tie them on that will break the water flow evev more.

Well I bought a teeny filter, and modded a large spray bar to fit and that seems to be working better.

There were bloodworms as well in that chunk of stuff, should I keep feeding bloodworms? I've also bought some small squishy crickets to try him with, though there so small he doesn't seem to be showing much interest, he wasn't interested in the nice juicy earthworm I dug up either...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back