Red spot on tail

wreckgar

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, my Leucistic axie has a spot in its tail, about 1ml across. Also, there is a small red streak along the bottom of the tail, and the bottom of the tail also looks a bit 'lumpy'. Anyone have any ideas what this is?

Thanks,

Here is a picture of the tail..

file.php

that my friend is a burst blood vessel - similar to a bruise keep an eye on it it shall go in a few days.

it has probably banged its self somewhere.

Poor fella! thanks for that, is the stuff along the bottom of the tail anything to worry about though?

Hi Wreckgar,

What is the temperature of your tank and hows your water?

The white lumpy bits may be fungus although it is an unusual pattern for fungus is there any more anywhere else?

Simple cure for fungus is salt baths there are heaps of posts about salt baths or go to www.axolotl.org its got heaps of info there too.

While he is in the fridge you will have the opportunity to look at your tank.

Good Luck

I've seen the lumpy lower tail fin before, its nothing to be concerned about by itself.

It's probably similar in cause to the tail curl, and may be indicative of higher stress levels.

but it doesn't heal so it may not indicate current stress. You might not have a stress issue, but you will always have those tail lump tissue bundles.

I would think it might also be caused by something irritating the location for an extended period promoting an excess of regenerative tissue activity.

all theories. but I have seen it before on healthy axolotls that have had it for years. It doesn't become a problem itself. thats the main thing.

It would apear to me like that would be regeneration marks along the base of the tail. Sometimes not all the instructions in the dna are correct when it comes to rebuilding cetain body parts.

I have one axy with fully webbed feet!!

there is a lot more build up today, I will take a photo when I get home. I have a theory - at the moment I can only get him to eat prawns. When he poos it is a pinkish colour. However I have not had to remove any poo for the last few days. Could the growth on his tail be bits of his poo that are sticking to/infecting his tail? I guess if my axie was a wild type it would be much easier to tell!

:(

I used to have a golden female ( Russell now has her) , the tip of her tail would regularly grow till it looked very very thin ( like the cells were going into over drive) then as this was so thin it would at some point tear and then disappear to her normal tail point, this would add up to 2cm on her length. I suppose its a bit like a finger nail.

I used to have a golden female ( Russell now has her) , the tip of her tail would regularly grow till it looked very very thin ( like the cells were going into over drive) then as this was so thin it would at some point tear and then disappear to her normal tail point, this would add up to 2cm on her length. I suppose its a bit like a finger nail.

She is in full tail mode at teh mo - fat little belly full of river prawns!!
You didnt tell me she was such a glutton!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back