Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Breeding Traps/Nets-good or bad idea?

Genome42

Reaction score
Hello,
I am raising larvae from eggs for the first time (Hatching any day now!) and was thinking of purchasing some breeding nets to seperate them to minimise any canabilism and allow me to aerate/filter the whole tank. Just wanted to see if anyone had any good or bad experiences with this method and if there would be any reason that this would be detrimental to my new babies!
Thanks!:D

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
As housing, it should work. The only difficulty may be keeping the micro-food in the net. It will just go out of reach. Will the nets be in the adults' tank, or in a separate tank?

digger

Reaction score
i have tried this and would only reccommend it for a handful of larvae and only for a short time.
the reasons being the larvae tend to hide under the framework where all the gunk migrates, and secondly they are harder to monitor for food.
the more you pop in the net the more likely you will be to have losses, i had two nets on the go in my adult tank with about 15 larvae in each and as for ever trying to locate them.
the waste doesnt pass through the net either it just collects under the frame and you then have the risk of squashing the larvae trying to clean it.

Genome42

Reaction score
The first one hatched this morning! I haven't had axolotls before so im throwing myself in at the deep end! I think i will stick with small containers then and just change the water everyday.
Thanks for your help!
:D

niajetze

Reaction score
do not use a net in the same tank as the adults as they will still be able to kill the babie through the netting you will end up wit dead babies and not even a well fed axy to show for it. i would suggest a plast breeder as they often have partitions so you can keep more separate and if you put a stocking (tights) at the bottom it alolows water throw and keeps food and axies in (also helps with cleaning out). Hope this helps

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
I kept my eggs in shallow water filled trays , maybe an inch deep. once the eggs started hatching I did complete daily water changes...usually I used the turkey baster to suck out the water!! . I also moved the egg casings at that point, but they do stick together. I also noticed with regards to the egg casings that any live food would be stuck to it..I suspect this is natures way of making sure the new larvae can get their meal.

Daniel

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I know some people who were successful in raising larvae in a way like this - I personally prefer using small bowls like margarine boxings.
I also saw some pictures where adults were able to jump into the net (where the nets were placed in their tanks), eating all the larvae so I would not give it a try...

Genome42

Reaction score
i don't have an adults as these are my first axolotls. I have a small tank which i had the eggs in but i have recently got a large tank suitable for the two i plan on keeping when they get larger and i can send the others off to good homes. but i think i am going to stick with the containers and daily water changes instead.
Thanks

(P.S. now on two babies....think there will be more in the morning!)

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
As you have two tanks, I would recommend having both of them set up, in case you suddenly need another place to put some of the larvae. Live plants are very helpful in getting a new tank going.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1