DOn't get this fungus thing?

Janeen

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi there,

Would my axie get fungus from the stress of having to be taken out of his tank every day and be given his antibiotics?

His water parameters are good (they match the criteria on this site) I test it every day. I have a thermometer in the water and maintaining the water at 18. He is eating ok, and for the last week has been pretty good. His back legs are paralysed (from a growth in his spine) but he seems to be ok getting up and down and around his tank. His gills have started to grow back as is his foot that he had lost before I got him. He spends a bit of time floating since he has been sick, but I was never too worried about it because he would be in a different position in his tank every time I walked past.

This morning I woke up, he was floating at the top of his tank and has been there for 5 hours now. I have'nt given him his antibiotics but have given him a salt bath as his back right foot seems to be covered in fungus! I don't understand what I am doing wrong? So I was just wondering if the whole thing of getting out of his tank daily and forcing this disgusting bitter antibiotic down his throat would be enough to set off a fungus infection in him? I am about to lower his water to reduce the stress, but if I stop the antibiotics he will die for sure as they control the infection in the growth.

Please what do I do? I have struggled to keep him alive for 3 months now and am not prepared to back down from the challenge yet!

Please help me someone :confused:

That could be stressful enough to cause fungus.

Have you tried fridging him?

Yeah he has been in the fridge up until recently for three weeks. He has been out for just over a week now.

What antibiotics are you giving the axolotl? Perhaps you could try one that can be added to the water instead of given orally.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back