Axolotls and loud sounds

JuanOteno

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Display Name
Juan Oteno
I'm considering purchasing an axolotl or two (melanos), however yesterday a question came to mind. How resistant/tolerant are axolotls to loud noise?

I'm asking because I play a decent ammount of music in my room with my speakers, and the music room is adjacent to mine, and the music that can come from there is pretty damn loud. Would they be okay or would it end up killing them?

Hmm I am not sure. I know my axolotl gets stressed with some noises. He tends to hide if I have a party and when I first got him I used to play all my computer games loudly (the tank is right near my computer) and his tail would go curly... so now I use headphones. I think he disliked Bioshock the most :p

He seems to be ok with me watching videos on my computer... so it seems to be only certain noises (like ones with a lot of bass).

But yea I am not sure if that is normal or not. It might vary from axolotl to axolotl. Perhaps yours would get used to the noise?

Well, I have music every night and every morning, at a resonnably loud volume (my iPod's hooked on computer speakers), and since it's the same volume for going to bed and getting up, I need it reasonnably loud so that it actually wakes me up). However, that's not really what worries me, in the room next to mine is a "music" room, with a drum set and that's where my dad goes when he wants to play loud, and by loud, we hear it all to way up the second floor quite clearly, when he's playing in a closed room in the basement. That's what worries me... sounds like something that would stress the Axolotl out, I'm not sure how much stress it would create...

Axolotls can feel all of the vibration from the bass of a speaker even though they're in the tank. It probably wouldn't be comforting for them to have loud music playing. Think of it like this, would you want to have someone using a jackhammer right outside of your window? That's probably how it feels to them. Mine can feel the vibrations of my feet when I walk toward the tank at night to feed them and they all swim to the surface waiting for pellets, so they're definitely sensitive to vibrations.

I have done a series of tests with my axies to see what if any frequencies affect them. As Jacob says it is more low frequency sound that distresses them from about 315Hz down to 53Hz high frequency sound above 1.25kHz didn't seem to bother them.

Axies have a lateral line that is sensitive to vibrations so it is likely that they are more sensitive to low frequency sound due the nature of the sound waves rather than the specific volume.

I have the full results and test parameters available if you want them. The tests were conducted using a industry standard pink noise generator which can also be set for specific frequencies I tested for the normal range of human hearing 20Hz to 20kHz at 95dB sound source 3 meters from the tank.

Hi Dietmar,

I'm in Australia at the moment, nice internet cafes in Perth. I will send them through when I get Back home next week.

Hi Ian,
Could you send that to me too?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back