Feeding firebelly in terrestrial phase

mmen

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
And what about a cynops orientalis in his terrestrial phase? One of mines now refuses to go inside the water and so, is getting thinner cause he doesn´t eat.
I tried the same bloodworms I give to the others, offering it on a stick, in a plate, pieces of fish or chicken... but... no way. What shall I try next?
Thanks in advance

Try blackworms

mmen, you have two choices. 1. Find some kind of LIVE food that is small enough and can be used on land. (tiny crickets, slugs and bugs from outside, etc) Pieces of chopped earthworm work well, if the pieces are large enough to keep wiggling. 2. Keep trying to feed the newt frozen bloodworms (or better, chopped earthworm) using a toothpick or tweezers. It may take many attempts until it learns to eat this way. Good luck!

Eartworms worked great with mine. You should have no problem if you feed them worms, they are highly nutritious, so they´ll be perfectly healthy during their terrestrial "holiday". Mine usually refused bloodworms unless they were very hungry...but they never refused eating worms even if they were rather full.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back