Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

juvenile colour types

Kudos

Reaction score
Greetings
I would like to ask you axolotl experts a few questions if that is possible.
Out of my 40 babies from 2 spawns with the same parents
2 are grey (both from the first spawn)
1 is white (from the second spawn)
1/3 are brown
and the rest are golden and black. More from the first spawn are black and more from the second spawn are golden.

The mother is golden albino and the father is black (i dont know if he's wildtype or melanoid {how can you tell anyway?})

How do this many colour varieties come from just 2 parents?
and why are some colours only apear in the first spawn while others don't?
I have no idea about genetics and don't understand the genetics page from www.axolotl.org

Thanks in advance

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
I have no understanding of the genetiics either..but I know a lady who does!!.

I believe to destinguish a melanoid from a wild type is that melanoids have no irradecent skin cells . With the larvae I could see that some had dark black eyes, and the others had black eyes with a lighter ring around them.

I have a 3 month batch of juveniles , their parents are a dark wild type male and a albino ( gold ) type female. All the leggs where completely white. They then developed various yellow tones, then some added grey speckles. While in the eggs I could see that some had reflective pale eyes, some had black eyes with a reflective ring and some just black eyes.

After they hatched and started to grow I have golden albino, a couple that may have been white, the melanoid and some interesting lighter wild type. Unfortunately all but one of my albino/ white met an unfortunate end.

If I ever get enough space ( and I suspect it'll be a very long time off ) I'll raise some more as it is all rather interesting!!

Daniel

Site Contributor
Reaction score
It's quite difficult to explain the outcome of matings without any genetics :eek:.

If not both parents are the recessive type (meaning albino and/or leucistic) then a wild mixture can come out of such a breed for the genes of both parents are recombined.

By the combination of the parents you mentioned and the offspring you can make some conclusions on the parental genetics - f.i. that the wild type is half albino and (if with "white" you mean leucistic with dark eyes) that both parents are half leucistic.

As Bella said, melanoid types lack the shiny iridophores, best to be seen at the eyes where is no shiny ring with melanoids. They are not necessarily very dark and the other way round very dark Axolotls ("black") are not necessarily melanoid.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The ones you describe as "gray" or "white" are probably the same genetic type. The ones you describe as "brown" and "black" might also be the same genetic type. From the same pair of parents, each breeding should give you roughly the same types of offspring in roughly the same ratios. But colors of the same genetic types can vary within a range (white to gray, for example).

If you don't understand the genetics page on Axolotl.org, then there is probably no way we can explain how you got this many colors of offspring. Just enjoy the variety!

Kudos

Reaction score
All the grey, white and black ones have black eyes while the brown and golden have that shiny ring as you mentioned.

What do you mean by "irradecent skin cells" bellabelloo

Yeah the white one seems to have a tinge of grey to it. I'm running out of space for them now i think i will need to invest in more fish tanks.

Speaking of babies whats the recommended size you are meant to sell them at? A few of mine are over 8cm with legs fully grown and was hoping to sell them soon... If anyone wants them around my town

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
I meant the shiny shiny iridophores...appologies for that, I was unable to think of the correct term. when you have light on the axolotl you see the shiny ring around the eyes and some will have shiny speckles on their bodies too.

Kudos

Reaction score
The brown and the golden ones have shiny rings around their eyes.
They grey ones have black eyes but if you look closley it looks kinda dark blue around the edges... stange colour...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!