The dry subject of water...

Gingrich

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Oskar
My tank is ready to put water in... but what kind of water. Is it best just to use treated/primed tap water, spring water, or a mixture or the two? Are there alternatives? Thanks for any suggestions!

Hi Gingrich, I always use aged, treated tap water. I fill a 15gallon water storage bucket, and add dechlorinate drops to it. I leave the water in an open bucket for about 24 hours prior to use.

Oh.

Will any tap water work? Are there any things to watch out for in the water?

If your water is safe to drink it should be safe for aquatic animals. The only thing I would do is use a nitrate check to make sure there are none in your water and if possible contact your water municipality to ask if they use chloramines or chlorine to treat their water. Using anything but tap water will get expensive and annoying right quickly or keep you from performing regular maintenance.

I agree with Abrahm; if your tap water is safe to use I would definitely use treated tap water. Just make sure that you let your tap run for 5-10 seconds before beginning to fill the bucket/container up.

It's helpful (sometimes essential) to know a few essential facts about your tap water. Is it hard or soft? Is it treated with chlorine or chloramine? Some of this is explained in the water FAQ:
http://www.caudata.org/cc/faq/faq.shtml

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back