Breeding earthworms for Axies

Amiracle

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Amiracle
Hi,

I have two adult axolotls and am currently feeding them a mix of freeze-dried brine shrimp and frozen beef heart; which I was advised to feed them by the petshop I got them from. I have been doing some research and am finding that beef heart is a BAD food for axies! I am interested in breeding eathworms which is good because I also have an organic vegie garden- so "killing two birds with one stone" figuratively speaking.
Therefore, my questions are> where in Sydney do I buy earthworms? Does anyone have any experience breeding them? Any hints? also, do you feed them whole or cut them up? I'm a little squeamish, so am a bit concerned and I honestly feel a little cruel feeding live foods to my babies. Any other suggestions?

You need to use compost worms (a.k.a. red wigglers), as most other types of worms won't grow in compost. These worms are relatively small, so you would feed them whole.

Hopefully someone in AU can help you with where to find them. There is LOADS of info on the Internet about growing home cultures of earthworms, so you can google up a ton of other info that might be useful.

Hi,

I too have a worm farm, did not know could use them for Axies. Can get worms (as stated the compost variety) at most nurseries or hardware stores.

Em

I never bought earth worms for my compost bin..they just moved on in by them selves. I put all my veg parings in, garden waste and occasionally cardboard in( my veg are from an organic veg box scheme and smaller items are sent in small paper tubs). I don't tend to add cirus fruit skins as I found the worms aren't as tasty to the axolotl!!. I also have a resident toad and woodlice that have set up home there to.

There are a few online sellers (eg. http://www.wormsdownunder.com.au/products.html). I've got red wrigglers (aquaried from a friend with a worm farm) in styro boxes that provide a staple for my axies and most of my fish. Adult axies won't need the worms cut but might take a few goes to figure out how to swallow them, juvies will need the worms cut unless you sort through to find the small ones.

Good luck.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back