The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotl General Discussion Open axolotl forum: if it doesn't fit in the sub-topics then post it here.

Old 27th December 2007   #1
Will Glover

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Will Glover has started on the right path
Default lost gills

Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.
I got 'Dilly' in Aug 2007 looking like an Axolotl. (Left Hand Pic)
Today it looks like the picture on the right.
I thought it had been fighting with it's larger friend, as they were both in the same tank,
and had it's gills bitten off. It seems I was wrong and it has started 'morphing'.
I've put it in it's own tank and lowered the water level and added a log island.
So it can get itself out of the water.
I'm very new to this so I'd welcome any comments

Will Glover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2007   #2
invertkurt

Nationality:
Rep: invertkurt has shown reliable knowledge

If it is in fact morphing it will be a fully terrestrial adult salamander. Scientists will argue about classification I'm sure, but consider it a Mexican tiger salamander. They should be kept in clean moist soil with some cover, a water dish, and prefer worms and soft bodied foods.

Also, check your water parameters. Axolotls do not normally morph unless there is a reason to, i. e. bad conditions, as they are essentially a fully-aquatic species.

invertkurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2007   #3
Kaysie
(Kaysie)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 45
Comments: 62
Rep: Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11

Axolotls have been known to morph naturally, and it is not always the result of poor water conditions (although this is usually the case).

Kaysie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2007   #4
Jacob Bidinger
(Jake)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 10
Rep: Jake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Will-do you have any more pictures of 'Dilly'? I saw the story about him that BBC did.

Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2007   #5
freekygeeky

Nationality:
Rep: freekygeeky has shown reliable knowledgefreekygeeky has shown reliable knowledge

there is a sticky at the top of the axy free for all of my axy who has completly metermorphed and is completly on land..
not in water at all.
saw yours on BBC... mine should of been there too!¬

here ya go

http://www.caudata.org/forum/showthread.php?t=51411

Old 28th December 2007   #6
Kaysie
(Kaysie)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 45
Comments: 62
Rep: Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11

As far as care for your 'morpholotl', it will be the same as a tiger salamander: http://www.caudata.org/cc/species/Am...tigrinum.shtml

Kaysie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2007   #7
rick
2010 Research Grant Donor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 7
Comments: 11
Rep: rick has started on the right path
Default morphed axi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Glover View Post
Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.
I got 'Dilly' in Aug 2007 looking like an Axolotl. (Left Hand Pic)
Today it looks like the picture on the right.
I thought it had been fighting with it's larger friend, as they were both in the same tank,
and had it's gills bitten off. It seems I was wrong and it has started 'morphing'.
I've put it in it's own tank and lowered the water level and added a log island.
So it can get itself out of the water.
I'm very new to this so I'd welcome any comments
i have 2 of them and one is fully terrestrial but the other decided to stay aquatic its a lot easier if they stay aquatic so don't try and push it towards land plus you can enjoy it more if its in a tank of water instead of hiding under dirt.

rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2007   #8
freekygeeky

Nationality:
Rep: freekygeeky has shown reliable knowledgefreekygeeky has shown reliable knowledge

heheh yea i hardly see my lil guy who has changed
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick View Post
i have 2 of them and one is fully terrestrial but the other decided to stay aquatic its a lot easier if they stay aquatic so don't try and push it towards land plus you can enjoy it more if its in a tank of water instead of hiding under dirt.

Old 29th December 2007   #9
John
Founder

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 204
Comments: 118
Rep: John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

Steve Eddy (quoted in the BBC article) contacted me a few days ago and has sent me the photos. Another person emailed me the link to the BBC article today. It's fascinating stuff but I'm proud to say it's nothing new to us here on Caudata.org (though always nice to hear about). Freeky: I'm sorry yours didn't make the news .

Old 31st December 2007   #10
Will Glover

Nationality:

I was worried about the water. I've been changing about 20% once a week.
I've increased this to twice a week. (Waters 'aged' for about 3 days.)
I do have an internal filer which does get quite dirty fairly quickly.
The other axolotl in the same tank seem to be fine.

Old 31st December 2007   #11
Will Glover

Nationality:

I would like them to stay aquatic. I've read it can be down to me not looking after them properly.
I'm determine that the second one stays an axolotl.

Old 31st December 2007   #12
Will Glover

Nationality:
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by axolotl_jake View Post
Will-do you have any more pictures of 'Dilly'? I saw the story about him that BBC did.
I do, but I can't work out how I attached the pictures on the earlier post.
Kids are out (New Year celebrations) at the moment. I'll ask them when the get in.

Old 31st December 2007   #13
Julia
(bellabelloo)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Comments: 13
Rep: bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11

What is your tank set up like, i.e size and items etc. As you know axolotl can be quite messy and left over food and their waste can spread every where, if not found reasonably quickly it can lead to water quality problems. I find that my adults waste always seems to be tucked away in a corner of his cave, and despite me moving it to different spots its always there!! It seems some axolotl may be more likely to morph than others ( Freekies seems to be one..it all happened in just over a week of her having it)

bellabelloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2007   #14
John
Founder

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 204
Comments: 118
Rep: John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

Will, I've linked your thread on the Axolotl site. I think it's a pity the BBC didn't probe a bit deeper when they did their research - they make it sound like there are two lakes in Mexico where you can see axolotls . If only this were true.

Old 6th January 2008   #15
Will Glover

Nationality:
Default Photo

Just experimenting
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	head_on.JPG
Views:	2491
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	2008  

Old 6th January 2008   #16
Will Glover

Nationality:
Default Dilly Photos

Here are some more photos of Dilly.

How long does metamorphing usually take? It's been several weeks since we first noticed his shrinking gills, maybe 7 weeks. And he has been in his own tank for about 5 weeks. He doesn't seem in any hurry to complete the morph.

He has finally started eating again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	above.JPG
Views:	2038
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	2009   Click image for larger version

Name:	side_view.JPG
Views:	2453
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	2010   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1336 (2).JPG
Views:	1091
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	2011  

Old 6th January 2008   #17
Jacob Bidinger
(Jake)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 10
Rep: Jake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Glad to hear he's doing good Will. It looks like it's nearing the end of metamorphosis now, it will probably be terrestrial within a couple weeks, in order to come up on land though he'll need to grow some eyelids, and his skin/toes will thicken a bit to adjust to it's new lifestyle. Good luck with him and thanks for sharing!

Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2008   #18
rick

Nationality:

one of mine only took 4 weeks to morph, but i still have one that finished morphing 3 months ago and decided to stay in the water

Old 7th January 2008   #19
Neotenic_Jaymes
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 46
Comments: 2
Rep: Neotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

after they morph do they go straight for land??? i've heard that some stay fully aquatic for sometime before they actually go fully terrestrial....but i would think that they would terrestrial right away rite???

Neotenic_Jaymes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2008   #20
rick

Nationality:

mine didn't seem to be in any hurry, just make sure they have some where to go when they decide to come out. If you keep feeding them in the water they may not feel the need to come out , thats what im doing.

Tags
gills, lost