Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Spray Bar

lazylilsnoop

Reaction score
should i make a spray bar or should i just let it be?

i have a 3 foot tank, n currently my filter is facing the mirror at one end of the tank as i realize when my axies swim to that region, they get push away by the water flow, so i face my filter to the mirror which supposedly reduce the water flow. the water flow produced by the filter is making a hole in my sand(clearing all the sand near the filter) but then my axies now tends to like playing with the hole my filter made, swimming against the current

so should make a spray bar or not??? :confused::confused::confused:

kapo

Reaction score
Either make a spraybar or tie something round or below the outlet so that it diffuses the flow and doesn't stress your axies. Strong currents will eventually stress them.

kapo

Reaction score
How do you know if you've only had them a short while? Swimming excessively can be considered stressful. Stick your hand in the water, if the current is strong enough to push any plants around so they're waving (or you feel it against your hand) or it moves your axies as they swim; then chances are they will get stressed.

You may not even notice until one starts losing weight or looks sick; or swims excessively oddly towards one end of the tank or even develops a fungal infection, or odd floating (on side/upside down). When things like this start occurring your weakest axie (the one with the lowest immune system) will show symptoms first before what appears to be the other healthy one may not show it for a while. It can take anything from a few days to a few weeks for symptoms to appear to you (or be recognised).

The trick is to remove anything (or in the case of the filter diffuse the flow) that may stress them before it happens. You do not want to have a sick/stressed axolotl on your hands during your Australian summers; it will be hard work trying to combat both temperature and sickness if it occurs. Start as you mean to go on if you want your axolotls to be healthy and happy (as an axie can be). It's a little thing to adjust/fix a spraybar or diffuse the flow.

lazylilsnoop

Reaction score
lol, so i was wondering how long should my spray bar be? my tank is a 3 foot tank, so my spray bar should be 70-80cm long??

to held the spray bar up, i should use a mirror sucker at the end right?
the spray bar is basically a PVC tube, with small holes of a 5cm gap in between correct?

what about the waterproof tape that is use to attach the end of the filter with the spray bar, is it safe to soak in the aquarium for so long?

hmm, it will be helpful if some one could just guide me from step 1 till the end of how to D.I.Y a spray bar :)

lazylilsnoop

Reaction score
taaadaaaa..... manage to make my home made Spray Bar :D:D:D

DSCF3037.jpg

comments please ;)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1