safe plants?

moonstream

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am setting up a paludaium to house 2-3 C. pyrrogaster and was wondering if these plants were safe?
ivy (from lowes)
philodendron (also from lowes)
lucky bamboo (grown submerged)

I will also be using these plants (which are safe)
amazon sword (allowed to grow out of water)
Crypt wendtii
duckweed
java fern
java moss
ludgiga sp. (allowed to grow out of water)
twisted vallis
also, maybe comomba and rotala indica.

These plants are safe. The Ivy may want to take over depending on your lighting but keep it pruned and all will be well. The philodendron is a great plant. I prefer the dwarf varieties and will be acquiring 4-5 new ones in the next few weeks for a new tank. Bamboo grows anywhere though I have to admit i am not fond of the look of it in a mixed plant tanks.

I'd skip the duckweed as it will spread like the plague and take nutrients from everything else. It will also block the light from your aquatic plants. Ludwigia is a great plant. I have some L. repens that has the most amazing redish, purpley, amberlike leaves.

actually, I will be using L. repens (have some in a planted tank, will use prunings in this tank). I may or may not use the bamboo, probably not tho.

Maybe i'm wrong but i think that Amazon Sword (Echinodorus amazonicus) would not grow out of water, i've never seen it at such place. In paludarium emerged tips of leaves were dying out of water, but there are many other swords that would do so, Echinodorus "Jenisej", Echinodorus barthii and big swords: Echinodorus macrophyllus and Echinodorus grandiflorus, these like to grow emergent.
Cabomba and Rotala indica got high light requirements.

if allowed to amazon swords will grow up and out of water, I have seen it happen many times. there are many reasons why emergent leaves may have browned, did any of the submerged leaves brown? what was the lighting, how far away was it?

It was long ago, submerged leaves were in good health, lightning was 1 lamp with compact fixture, 11 W.
Nevermind, now i'm playing with more advanced plant-tanks, and other species od swords :D

Make sure that before you use any plants from home and garden centers, like Lowes, that you transplant the plant first and rinse it thoroughly to remove any trace pesticides and fertilizers. You certainly don't want those leaching into your enclosure. Use completely new salamander safe soil and rinse all the leaves and roots.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back