Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Bigger Digs for the FBNs...a couple of questions re: filters, etc.

DesertRaven

Reaction score
We're upgrading our 4 FBN's from a 10 to a 20 long aquarium. I'm all about making this as low maintenance as possible. Unfortunately, I can't dedicate as much time to the newts as I'd like. They are definitely great therapy.

Anywho...the tiny 10 gallon was too little. It gets icky too fast and the submersible filter made the water too warm in the summer (we live in the desert). I really like everything to look pretty natural and that hunk of plastic in the corner was hard to hide and it didn't seem to do much filtering. SO...I went out and got the Zoomed 501, new tank, new screen lid and sand (we were using gravel before). As soon as I began assembling the filter, the very first thing I did was put together the 2 parts that make up the screen for the end of the lift tube. It wouldn't stay together at all. So now I either have to rig up something else on the end of the tube, return it and get another or return it and get something else. I'd really like a small canister but the local shops don't have anything "small" other than this Zoomed thing. Any ideas?? Filter recommendations?

Also, in the new tank we're not having a "land" section. They never used it before and were seemingly fine with hanging out on top of some live plants and rocks, etc. sticking up above the water surface. However, I am growing tired of feeding them worms and having to clean up the leftovers that get strewn about the whole tank. So...I'm trying to come up with some way of making them a feeding dish that I can put in and take out when they're done. Without a land area, I don't know how to accomplish that. I could make something like a glass shelf. But then it'll be hard to change my mind about the set-up 45 times with something so permanent in there! LOL! I was thinking of making some small out-cropping attached with suction cups...but I can't think of what to use for the actual out-cropping. Any suggestions??

Thanks in advance for your ideas!

DesertRaven

Reaction score
Sorry...just realized I probably should have posted this on a different board...maybe general or newbie questions.

lims

Reaction score
As for food being leftover, trial and error will help you work out how much to feed them, there's no harm in them being slightly on the hungry side until the next feeding (in my opinion) I'm sure they get hungry in the wild sometimes.
I agree, CFB don't really need a land section, broad leaved plants on the surface are enough.
And I agree sand is better than gravel for many reasons.

jett862

Reaction score
I'm also in the process of installing the zoomed filter; there are a few parts you should have, and they should all connect. I'm sure you already know this, but it can't hurt to post, right?

The two pieces of the flexible tubing connect to the filter; from there you can connect the "stiff" tube directly into the flexible tubing, or you can opt to use the black harness tube they give you. I did the former. Finally, you fold the two halves of the tube-end-suction-guard-thingy together, and plug it onto the end of the plastic pipe.

If the parts don't connect together, you can try using silicone II and letting it dry 24+ hours before letting liquid touch it. I also opted to silicone the pipes directly to my tank, which normally would be quite unattractive.. but I plan to cover the entire thing in a great stuff/silicone/cocofibre (in that order) layering.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!