Tylototriton sp availability

Reptilerapture

Reaction score
Country
United States
Can anyone tell me if this species is available here in the states. I am not looking to buy but was just curious. I remember seeing them before at shows but I am recently doing some research and can't find any word about them at all other than information on WC. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

I have two T. verrucosus that are cb, they are certainly available in the US.

Michael Shrom may still have CB T. kweichowensis and T. verrucosus. Every so often you may find CB T. shanjing offered. Otherwise any tylos that show up on the market are most likely wc. I am currently working with several species with the hopes of breeding this year. Compared with other types of herps it seems that caudates in general seem to attract less followers and within that (our) group there seem to be relatively few who concentrate their efforts on tylos.
Chip

Captive Bred Tylototriton verrocusus and Tylototriton kweichowensis are both available.

Any idea as to standard pricing?

I have paid less than 20.00 each for WC T. shanjing when I purchased the entire group. I have seen CB shanjing advertised for around 80.00. WC T. kweichowensis have ranged from 20.00 to 40.00. WC T. taliangensis are much less frequently available when compared to shanjings and kweichows and they usually run around 40.00 - I have paid as much as 60.00 for established animals. CB Echinotriton andersoni are rarely available and usually fetch at least 80.00 - 110.00 per animal. Michael Shrom usually sells CB kweichows and verrocosus for around 35.00 - 40.00. This is a very fair price BTW considering how rarely any of these animals are produced on the American market.
Chip

I got 5 T kweichowensis morphs for £65 inc postage

I've seen c.b. T. kweichowensis and T. shanjing going for 40.00 at the Hamburg, Pa. and the All Md. reptile shows. W.C. prices are a lot cheaper.

If money's really tight, (think minor without a job), isit worth it to pay double for CB's?

Well, you could buy a wildcaught animal. But you have no idea how old it is. And you have no idea what kind of diseases or parasites it's carrying. And you have no idea if it's going to die just after you get it from stress of shipping.

If money's really tight, (think minor without a job), isit worth it to pay double for CB's?
For a minor w/o job, I would recommend sticking with species that are free or very cheap, even if they aren't your top choice of species. If you can get live food such as blackworms, I'd recommend getting some eggs (some of us will give them free) and raise them up. For a beginner, I'd recommend sticking with what is easily available and getting experience with that. Depending on where you live, there may be some eggs/larvae/juvs available outdoors locally. Taking young animals from the wild is far better than buying wild-caught.

There is ofcourse also the issue of taking rare and poorly studied species from the wild.

All Tylototritons are strongly declining and some are already endangered. I wouldn't want those animals for 10% of the price of CB.

stop the WC of tylos! my only tylo was 55€ and was CB others from another forum prefer to pay 49€ for an adult wC!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back