Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Can you help me please?

bendawson

Reaction score
help me my axoltl has a lump under his throut hes still eating ok but wat is it please help some 1

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
A picture would be helpful.

How big is the 'lump'? How old is the axolotl? How long has it had the lump? How big is your tank? What are your water parameters?

bendawson

Reaction score
ok ill get u a picture

ill get u a picture for tomorow and its about 6-8 months old i think and the lump is about 1 cm big and the tank is 3ft by 2ft and i have 2 axoltls and the lump 1's a bit of a gimp he has 3 toes on 1 foot and five toes on another foot and he has a backwards leg and could be blind bad isn't it but hes doin fine

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Ben, as this forum is often frequented by ESL (English as a Second Language) speakers, we ask that you use appropriate punctuation to make reading your posts easier.

How long has he had the lump? When did it first develop? Has it changed any? Why is your axolotl so beat up? What are your water parameters?

Amiracle

Reaction score
What we mean by tank parameters is the pH, Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate readings. It's important to know what these are when trying to eliminate reasons for illness.

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
To Post Pictures:

When you write your post, scroll down to the next block, "Additional Options," and click on "manage attachments." It'll take you through ("Browse"), just make sure your pictures don't exceed the limits you see written there. Once they're uploaded, you can click on "preview post" to make sure you have them the way you want, then click on "Submit reply," and voila! pictures posted on the site!

If you have any problems, you can PM me.

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Ben, you signed off on this when you registered here: "we also require that English speakers do not speak in nonsense words (such as those used in Text messages). Please refrain from the use of words like "gonna" and please use good grammar and punctuation. Remember that new subjects and sentences warrant the use of a capital letter. Banning won't occur for offences related to this but we actively encourage moderators and users to lower the reputation (a discrete part of the forum) of users who insist on speaking drivel."

bendawson

Reaction score
pictures dude's

here's the pictures of my axoltol with his lump and i'll find out the tank parameters for you guy's please anwer

Attachments

• DSC00118.jpg
    DSC00118.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 140
  • DSC00120.jpg
    DSC00120.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 106

kapo

Reaction score
Is any other part of his body swollen? Could it be one of the rocks in your tank, just checking as you'll be surprised at how large a stone they can swallow.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I'm with Kapo on this. It looks like it may have swallowed a rock. You could try to gently open its mouth with a spoon and see if you can see into the throat. But I don't think there's really much you can do about it.

bendawson

Reaction score
Help Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think my axolotl has some thing in it's throut i want to have a look down the mouth to see if i can tell what it is but is there any way i can do this without disstressing the poor thing please help me.:confused:

kapo

Reaction score
Ben stop panicking and please stop making new posts. This is in relation to your previous post about your axolotl so should be tagged on the end of it. Otherwise people trying to help/advise you will get confused and think you're posting about another axolotl or something else entirely. If you add to your original post the people who have been trying to help will respond as it automatically sends your additional post through to their emails.

Kaysie has already told you how to do this.

Another method that might help is to fridge your axolotl.

I will be merging this thread with your original thread as it relates to the same thing.

kapo

Reaction score
The fridging method may help things move along. The colder temperatures tend to make axolotls regurgitate/vomit (if they're able) or any food/etc in their gut will be excreted/pooed out.

Fridge temp needs to be 5C or above. Check by placing a thermometer in a cup of water and leaving it for 15-20minutes.

If okay, then fill a lidded container with dechlorinated water and place your axolotl in the container. Seal lid and wrap with a dishcloth. Place in the fridge.

Place another container or bottle of dechlorinated water in the fridge as you will need to change his container completely every day with the same temperature/chilled water.

Keep your axolotl in the fridge for at least a week. If it is a big obstruction (ie rock) I doubt very much that it will take a week to come out. It may take considerably longer than that, but the fridging may help. Some of the gravel/large pebbles that our axies swallowed came out over a period of days/weeks and months - over a period of close on 2 years. We've had one die from prolapse due to pebble/gravel ingestion. One other member recently posted that his axolotl, after fridging, had pooed out a rock the length of 3 inches (the largest we ever found that ours pooed out was just over 2.5cm/1 inch mark)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1