Question:Spermatophore

Madhatter

Reaction score
Country
Australia
This morning I woke up and had a look in my tank, and found a floating white pile of jelly. I'm pretty sure this was a Spermatophore so I took it out. It was like really gooey and sticky jelly.

I'm not positivly sure it was a Spermatophore, what do you guys think it was?

Also that same morning my mystery snail laid a small amount of eggs. I removed these too.

Spermatophores do not float.

I've never seen one float. I have never seen a photo of a floating one. Anyone ever seen a floating one?

I've seen hundreds of spermatophores, but never a floating one. They do, from time to time, get caught in the mild current from filters and bob around the tank, but that's about it. Spermatophores are usually pretty tiny too. I'm not saying that what you have is definitely not a spermatophore, but it is highly unlikely.

Spermatophores are a small cone of transparent jelly, capped with a tiny white blob of sperm. They never come out as a white pile of jelly, that sounds much more serious.

Perhaps it's vomit or something that came out of the snail?

It sounds like a partially digested food item covered in mucus. Those usually float. Mealworm pieces almost always float, and I always found axolotls regurgitated those every now and then - not a good food for them in my opinion, especially with the jaws intact.

I have never seen a floating spermatophore so far. The spermatophores I'vee seen so far were glued to the ground or caves.
I think you already had a look at the Axolotl site, there is a picture of one:
http://www.axolotl.org/breeding.htm

And here is another one made by a friend of mine:

axolotl_spermatophore.jpg

That is exactly what it looked like, cept it didnt have the bottom bit only the top.

That is exactly what it looked like, cept it didnt have the bottom bit only the top.

could be that the spermaphore got separated from the base, i have seen this in my tank when moving the pebbles. The top white part will float

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back