The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Warty Newts (Paramesotriton & Laotriton) & Paddletail Newts (Pachytriton Often sold incorrectly as Japanese fire-bellied newts, these territorial newts are distinct from other genera and very interesting in their own right.

Old 26th January 2008   #1
Paul Bachhausen
(paul_b)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 4
Comments: 1
Rep: paul_b is a mainstay of Caudata.orgpaul_b is a mainstay of Caudata.orgpaul_b is a mainstay of Caudata.orgpaul_b is a mainstay of Caudata.orgpaul_b is a mainstay of Caudata.orgpaul_b is a mainstay of Caudata.orgpaul_b is a mainstay of Caudata.org
Default Paramesotriton laoensis breeding, chapter 2

Hi all,

for comparing the actual with the last breeding season of my laoensis
(http://www.caudata.org/forum/showthread.php?t=42601)
I make this new treat!

In this season the courting of the male began at 09.September, last season at 11. September both after changing 2/3 of the water.

But first successful mating was at 31.Dezember, last season at 29. October.

This season the female took up 2 or 3 sperms in one night, last season only one. (see photo)

Last season the male bites his female into tail and hind leg, this year into tail and cloaca. (see photo)

Paul
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12310011-p_l-drei_sperm-kl.JPG
Views:	823
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	2138   Click image for larger version

Name:	12310023-kloakenbiss-kl.JPG
Views:	846
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	2139  

paul_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2008   #2
Paul Bachhausen
(paul_b)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: paul_b is a mainstay of Caudata.orgpaul_b is a mainstay of Caudata.orgpaul_b is a mainstay of Caudata.orgpaul_b is a mainstay of Caudata.orgpaul_b is a mainstay of Caudata.orgpaul_b is a mainstay of Caudata.orgpaul_b is a mainstay of Caudata.org

I also found a new possibility which the female accepted for laying eggs.

It is a plastic plant with long flexible leaf (see photo)
Now the female nearly only uses this "plant"

Paul
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	01230003-P_l-suche.JPG
Views:	837
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	2140  

Old 26th January 2008   #3
Rodrigo
(Azhael)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Comments: 2
Rep: Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

Congratulations Paul!!
Let´s hope everything goes ok and you get lots of babies. :)

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions.

Non Timetis Messor.
Azhael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2008   #4
Coen Deurloo
(coendeurloo)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Rep: coendeurloo is a mainstay of Caudata.orgcoendeurloo is a mainstay of Caudata.orgcoendeurloo is a mainstay of Caudata.orgcoendeurloo is a mainstay of Caudata.orgcoendeurloo is a mainstay of Caudata.orgcoendeurloo is a mainstay of Caudata.orgcoendeurloo is a mainstay of Caudata.org

Very good achievement Paul! let's hope for the best...

coendeurloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2008   #5
Jennewt
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 97
Comments: 46
Rep: Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11

Chapter 2: the eagerly-awaited sequel to a much-loved thread. Congratulations, Paul.

Old 26th January 2008   #6
Heather Jewett
(jewett)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 25
Comments: 0
Rep: jewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Is it known when these guys reach sexual maturity? I am interested in when you can expect your F2 generation...

PS A big congrats, Paul - I love these newts!

"Anyone who is disturbed by the idea of newts in a nightclub is potentially dangerous." Frank Zappa
jewett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2008   #7
Daniel
(Daniel)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 33
Comments: 7
Rep: Daniel is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgDaniel is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgDaniel is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgDaniel is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgDaniel is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgDaniel is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgDaniel is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgDaniel is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgDaniel is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Herzlichen Glückwunsch, Paul! :)

That's a nice success, keep up the good work and keep us updated!

Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2008   #8
Paul Bachhausen
(paul_b)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

Thanks all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewett View Post
Is it known when these guys reach sexual maturity?
Nobody knows!
But they grow so slow, that I fear - not earlier than 5 years!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewett View Post
I am interested in when you can expect your F2 generation...
F2 - a great aim!
But first we need more successful breeders of all the WC groups.

Paul

Old 27th January 2008   #9
Robkeulers
(robkeulers)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 2
Rep: robkeulers has shown reliable knowledgerobkeulers has shown reliable knowledge

Paul,

are there now more people who bred them succesfully or are you still the only one?

Old 28th January 2008   #10
Paul Bachhausen
(paul_b)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

@Rob, last year we had other breeder, but only very few reached metamorphosis!

This year I have information about two more egg laying, but too early to say more!

Paul

Old 28th January 2008   #11
Paul Bachhausen
(paul_b)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

Here they are!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	01280010-p_l-egg-08.JPG
Views:	782
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	2159  

Old 28th January 2008   #12
Andy Baker
(andrew)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Rep: andrew is a mainstay of Caudata.organdrew is a mainstay of Caudata.organdrew is a mainstay of Caudata.organdrew is a mainstay of Caudata.organdrew is a mainstay of Caudata.organdrew is a mainstay of Caudata.organdrew is a mainstay of Caudata.org

Hi Paul, well done on getting these guys breeding again. I've got to admit that last year i was thinking that this breeding was a happy accident and i doubted that they would breed again the following year....well, i'm glad to see that i was wrong, though i'm frustrated that mine have not bred. I have 3 pairs of Laoensis, all in perfect condition. One time i had the males tail waving and following females, i even saw spermatophores but that was it.
I have your paper with info on how you bred yours and i've got to say that i do alot of the same things that you do...i'm stumped as to why i have not had any egg laying. I wonder if there is something that you forgot to mention in your paper? perhaps the levels of daylight/ night they get?

andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2008   #13
Paul Bachhausen
(paul_b)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

Hi Andy,

like all my newts I gave them in summer 15 and in winter 8 hours light with slow change!

You keep a group of 3,3 or three groups of 1,1?

My (1,1), are kept in a 200 l tank, and I think this should be the minimum tank volume for a pair!
In autumn or winter, each time when I change 2/3 of the water (filling up with cold tap water) the male starts courting.
But this year in the first month my female seemed not to be interested.
So I lowered the temperature in December at 13/14 °C and at the end of December I brought it up to 15/16 °C and the first successful mating was observed.

Paul

Old 9th February 2008   #14
Paul Bachhausen
(paul_b)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

The new generation - slipped today!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	02090001-p_l-larven-1d.JPG
Views:	686
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	2313  

Old 9th February 2008   #15
Kaysie
(Kaysie)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 45
Comments: 62
Rep: Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11

Congrats, Paul! This has been (and I hope will continue to be) an interesting thread to follow.

Kaysie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2008   #16
Paul Bachhausen
(paul_b)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

Three weeks later,

all are doing fine.
Changing the whole water two times each day.
Feeding them with Artemia and microworms.

Paul
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	03010001-p_l-l-3w.JPG
Views:	430
Size:	378.5 KB
ID:	2484   Click image for larger version

Name:	03010002-p_l-l-3w.JPG
Views:	402
Size:	357.0 KB
ID:	2485  

Old 1st March 2008   #17
Robkeulers
(robkeulers)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 2
Rep: robkeulers has shown reliable knowledgerobkeulers has shown reliable knowledge

are that all larvae you've got this year, or are there more tanks?

I don't need to know the exact number of animals, but I am curious how many eggs they lay!

Old 1st March 2008   #18
Paul Bachhausen
(paul_b)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

Hi Rob,

I have little more than 40 larvae.
This year my female laid only approximately 120 eggs - last year 440!

I think nearly 100 of them are fertile.

Paul

Old 1st March 2008   #19
Nathan
(Nathan050793)
Caudata.org Donor

Nationality:
Rep: Nathan050793 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgNathan050793 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgNathan050793 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgNathan050793 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgNathan050793 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgNathan050793 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgNathan050793 is a mainstay of Caudata.org

Congratulations on a 2nd consecutive breeding, keep up the good work! I would love to have a chance to keep P.Laoensis .

Wollemi
(Look around you)
-Australian Aboriginal saying

Nathan050793 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2008   #20
Chris Michaels
(froggy)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Rep: froggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Congratulations Paul!

I have found, at least with P. fuzhongensis, that w/c adults breed very easily for the first couple of years, but with egg yield reducing each year, and then stop breeding even when the same conditions are given (similar to your regimen). I am wondering if there is some sort of long-scale biological clock thaty tells them its time to breed even without the correct environmental changes, which eventually fades away without being reset each year. Has anyone else had this experience with Paramesotriton?

Chris

froggy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
breeding, chapter, laoensis, paramesotriton, paramesotriton laoensis, tank setup