Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

slimy and shiny newt

oregon newt

Reaction score
My oregon newts have recently been unusually shiny and slimy. I have them in a 29 gallon tank.The temp. is around the mid-50s to low-60s. The ph is neutral. I had been feeding them pellets, they've been eating them for 7 years, but in the last week they've stopped eating them. I got some Canadian Nightcrawlers, but they didn't seem interested. They have been mating alot recently. Can someone contact me if they have any ideas of what may be wrong?:errr::eek:

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
When male Taricha are in breeding condition, their skin becomes shiny and slimey. Hopefully, this explains it. Shiny skin can also be sign of illness, but if they look healthy otherwise, this is probably not the case. I don't know why they would be refusing food, unless perhaps they eat less during breeding season (I don't know). If they are plump and cool, their need for food is undoubtedly less than it is in warmer weather.

oregon newt

Reaction score
Newt refusing food

My female is very plump, but my male is kind of skinny. They may have stopped eating the pellets because I recently moved them to a new enclosure. They've also never been offered worms before. When I tried to feed one to them they seem scared. How would I get them to start eating worms?:ufo::lol:

spoons

Reaction score
bloodworm is their favourite... live of course , my tarichas wont touch earthworms and mine are wild caught

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!