Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Anyone in America keep Liua shihi?...can anyone sex these?

paris

Reaction score
I have 2, but I believe they are both males. can't notice a vent difference nor a body type difference between the two. Any one got photos of sexable differences? Also, is there anyone else here in the USA keeping them?

andrew

Reaction score
Hi Paris, liua Shihi are an awsome species that's almost never available. That was until about 18 months ago when they started to appear in the US and in Europe. I think that all those that appeared in Europe, to my knowledge died unfortunately, but i do recall Erik Keyster gtting several of these.

markusA

Reaction score
Hi Paris,

I do not have experince with Liua but in closely related Chinese Batrachuperus it seems easy in adults to sex them, very similar to Hynobius from Japan (old thread in this forum but I can not find now).
Post detailed pics of the cloacal region of your two Liua.

Adult Chinese Batrachuperus males have thicker arms, especially the forearms are thicker compared to female ones.
The cloaca in females is u- shaped and more bulged than in males.
The cloaca of males is characterized by a small knob at the upper beginning of the cloacal slit between the two flat and smaller cloacal bulgs.
I do not have pics of cloacas of my Batrachuperus but will take some good shots next days.

At what temperatures do you keep yours, what do they feed?

regards

Markus

paris

Reaction score
Hi Paris,

.... very similar to Hynobius from Japan (old thread in this forum but I can not find now).
Post detailed pics of the cloacal region of your two Liua.

The cloaca in females is u- shaped and more bulged than in males.
The cloaca of males is characterized by a small knob at the upper beginning of the cloacal slit .....

At what temperatures do you keep yours, what do they feed?

regards

Markus

would you consider the cloaca photos in this old thread accurate enough to sex them http://www.caudata.org/forum/showthread.php?t=41674 if so then i have 2 females

i feed mine worm chunks but mostly ranagen soft moist pellets-they like those fine

mine used to be kept at about 60-65 but in my new place they are doing fine at 73F

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1