Swolen bum

Cheryl2203

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey, I'm just a little concerned about my axie at the mo. He's looking quite swolen around where his bum is and it looks alot bigger than it used to be. It's also quite alot bigger when compared to my other axie. Just wondering if i should be concerned or not?
My axies are not housed together so they're definatley not having babies or anything like that.
Not really sure what to do about it, or whether to just leave it and see what happens.
Any advice? :confused:
Thanks

Do you know how old he is? It could well be that 'he' is indeed a he and is reaching sexual maturity. Perhaps you could post a picture for us to take a look.
[Don't worry about taking a picture of his bits - axolotls are not known for being prudish :eek:]

What do you have on the bottom of your tank? If you have gravel or stones this may be the cause..also what do you feed them?

Hi, thanks for replying to me. I've got a clear picture but can't get it onto my laptop until I get a new cable. I'll get one this weekend and post it up here on Sunday.
I have big stones on the bottom, not gravel as I know they can swallow this.
I feed them on blood worm about every 2 days.
Will get back to you with the pic.
Thanks again
Cheryl

Cheryl axolotls will need more then just bloodworm for good health and growth.
Earthworms, slugs, and snails are an excellent food choice and if you are lucky enough to have a garden then they are also free.
Treatwise i also feed mine prawns, fine strips of liver and strips of fish.
I don't feed pellets, they refuse them, but some axolotls will take them.

Ok thanks for your help.
I don't have a garden so any ideas where I could get other food sources from? I'm not so keen at cutting things heads off to!!! :eek:
I've got a picture for you to look at.
Hope you can see what I mean ok. It's the lump behind his back leg.
Thanks

Attachments

• 016.jpg
    016.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 274
well to me it just looks like he is a rather well endowed male axolotl.Although the lump does seem to extend up into the body.
Have you noticed any axolotl poo in the tank? I'm just wondering if there is an obstruction.
I notice your stones are fairly large but is there a chance he could have swallowed a smaller one?

Hi I do tend to get quite large poos in the tank but will keep my eye out just incase he does get an obstruction.
What should I do if he does?
Thanks

Sorry, just another quick question.
What pellets should I try them with? I sometimes give them beef heart as a treat with no fat but as I have no garden its been difficult to get things other than frozen foods.
Can they eat pellets as food or just treats?
Thanks alot.

you can give soft salmon pellets or there are even axolotl pellets, you can buy them online.
My axolotls won't take pellets anymore since i offered them live food, i tried a few weeks ago and they just spat them out.
I also feed mine prawns, strips of liver cut thinly, bits of cod, slugs, snails, woodlice (slaters) and bloodworm now and then.
I must admit they go mad for the liver, i suppose its wormlike to them as in slippery and meaty.
I think some keepers do just feed pellets alone with the occasional treat but you would need to find pellets suitable for their nutritional needs...

If your axolotl does ever suffer an obstruction in the gut then fridging is usually a help but not always, just remain observant...
good luck

Hi Cheryl, mine eats pellets, earthworms and frozen bloodworm cubes on a rotating basis. The pellets are just called axolotl pellets and they sink and he usually eats them as they drop through the water, but will then go and clean up any he misses soon after feeding. He wouldn't eat them initially though, so I would keep trying.

Great thanks for your advice!
I've order some pellets to be delivered so I will see how they go with them once they arrive.
Thanks again
Cheryl

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back