yay, a big clutch

featherbutt

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Display Name
Mitch Guilderson
i took a great shot of the mom LAYING these last night, but i deleted it by mistake.
And i was all stoked about it.

basically they are floating around in a perforated deli container. works wonders for hatching.
lost almost ALL my last bunch with a guppy rearing thing from wallyworld. :)

Attachments

• IMG_3193.jpg
    IMG_3193.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 274
Those eggs are a bit too densely placed if you plan to keep them in there until they hatch. The ones at the bottom will almost definitely not get enough oxygen. It's better to spread the eggs out in a big container like a plastic tub, or several depending on how many you want to raise.

hows this look? i figure ill keep them in here and change the water every couple days until hatching, then as they hatch, move them to the perforated deli cups in the big tank until the weather warms up and i can pop them in some outdoor pools.

see, my tank is full of daphnea, and they can get in the deli cups but not out.

it makes for a cheap and easy starter food.

I just bought a house so I'm gonna start a greenwater tank once i take possession.
In the mean time i just have to keep these guys going. figure they will all be hatched in 20 days.

when i move i figured a basin with lakewater and lakesand, filtered with a filter with some colonized biomatrix and the sponge that sits in my axie tank SHOULD speed up the cycling

that will give my time to construct the outdoor water feature I'm planning on.

if that fails i know a guy with a well cycled and planted, but otherwise empty basin.

Attachments

• IMG_3207.jpg
    IMG_3207.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 255
what are your plans once they hatch?

going to start them on daphnea, then move to microworms and vinegar worms.
then bloodworms and so on.
ive got a big cycled 35 gal and many perforated delicups i can submerge into it,

any extra babies are going into an outdoor water garden to develop naturally

I've done this with A. maculatum before and it works fine. Ill just gather up the juvies in the summer after i have my outdoor basin constructed and voila,
if it doesn't work out thats just the way it is.

i hope to peddle a few off to some canadian interests over the net because i know they are hard to get.

and theres a few decent exotic purveyors that might be interested.

really what i want is a few nice specimens for my own collection, still gotta find a source for leucistics and albinos.

the perforations are needle-size or smaller, and they go inward, so they CAN get out,
but its like a minnow trap, they go against the funnel,
They probably get out all the time, but the point is, they go in far more often, and the high concentration of daphnea and cyclops inside is easy to see.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back